64-bit icon in taskbar, missing the "64" number

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

smooth

64-bit icon in taskbar, missing the "64" number

Post by *smooth »

This bug is probably valid for all versions.

I have pinned 64-bit executable to the taskbar and I see correct icon with "64" number for inactive application. When I start the TC the icon turn into simple one without "64". The same ico I see in Alt-Tab and in TC's window header. Is this behaviour intentional?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: 64-bit icon in taskbar, missing the "64" numbe

Post by *Horst.Epp »

smooth wrote:This bug is probably valid for all versions.

I have pinned 64-bit executable to the taskbar and I see correct icon with "64" number for inactive application. When I start the TC the icon turn into simple one without "64". The same ico I see in Alt-Tab and in TC's window header. Is this behaviour intentional?
Not confirmed
The "64" is show under all circumstances
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's probably a caching problem in Explorer. Sometimes it helps to detach the running program from Explorer, close it, start it again, and reattach it. But sometimes Explorer will keep the wrong icon even then. There are procedures to delete the Explorer icon cache on the net, but I wouldn't do that for such a simple change.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
smooth

Post by *smooth »

I investigated it deeper. When a fresh install is used everything is OK. The problem is that I prefere to see Win7 styled folder and file icons in my Win10 environment, not Win10 from explorer nor winXP fashioned from totalcmd.exe. So I have created my own icon library and used IconLib=%COMMANDER_PATH%\fileicons7.icl switch in INI file. Unfortuntely, both 32 and 64 bit executables uses the same library where at first position is TCMD icon without "64". This is a clue. How can I solve it?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I see - you could use %COMMANDER_EXE% instead of %COMMANDER_PATH%, and name the dlls differently, e.g.

%COMMANDER_EXE%.icl

Then name the two files totalcmd64.exe.icl and totalcmd.exe.icl.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
smooth

Post by *smooth »

I believe it should work. However it is not an elegant as I should maintain two icon libraries that differs only by one icon. Probably I will stay with my old library with an wrong icon without "64".