Folder tab remain active

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TimoJ

Folder tab remain active

Post by *TimoJ »

Is this a bug or a feature: I have added few fixed folder tabs for drives and paths (all locked but allow dir change).
But sometimes I also use drive combobox to select drives. But when I select a drive via the combobox, the last used tab still remains active.
Is it possible to make the tab inactive if the user selects a different drive via the drive combobox?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Folder tab remain active

Post by *petermad »

Hold down the Shift key when you click on the drive in the combobox (or in the drive bar, if enabled) - then the drive will be opened in a new tab.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
TimoJ

Post by *TimoJ »

Yes, but that doesn't fix the original problem. Of course I could disable the drive combobox, but looks like that also removes disk free/total space info. And I also sometimes like to use alt-F1/F2 and that also leaves last tab visible active.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Of course I could disable the drive combobox
I haven't said anything about that - read my answer again.

All I am saying is that in stead of just clicking a drive in the drive combobox you hold down Shift while you click the drive - have you tried that?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
TimoJ

Post by *TimoJ »

So I guess this is a "feature" and not a bug?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, changing directories and drives usually happens within the same tab, just like entering a new address in a web browser doesn't open a new tab.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
TimoJ

Post by *TimoJ »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2018-08-15, 15:51 UTC Yes, changing directories and drives usually happens within the same tab, just like entering a new address in a web browser doesn't open a new tab.
I don't want a new tab. I just want selected tab to become inactive if I select different drive via alt-f1/f2 or with mouse via the drive combobox. And maybe also become inactive if that pane's current path is not the same that is set to the active tab's setting.

Currently on the left side pane I have tabs D: K: O: and C:. Now, if for example D-tab is active and I switch to C-drive via alt-f1, I get C-drive visible and C-drive in the combobox but tab still shows D as active making you, for a moment, think that you are still in D-drive.

Or maybe I'm just using it in a wrong way... :)
siealex

Post by *siealex »

If you allow changing directories in a locked tab, you also automatically allow changing disks in the same tab.
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...
TimoJ

Post by *TimoJ »

siealex wrote: 2018-08-16, 12:17 UTC If you allow changing directories in a locked tab, you also automatically allow changing disks in the same tab.
Making my default tabs fully locked seems to make some sense to all this. Now extra tab/tabs that opens if i use alt-f1 etc. shows and follows the actual panel path. Problem is that now, with certain usage patterns, I end up with lots of extra tabs that cause my default tabs to scroll off screen.