Extra lines below cursor

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

qx87

Extra lines below cursor

Post by *qx87 »

New TC behavior regarding new feature

10.04.19 Added: When scrolling through file lists with the keyboard, keep a margin of 4 lines above/below the current position (32/64)

is strange in brief mode (CTRL+F1): when you're meticulously searching necessary file with your eyes file column suddenly moves when you didn't reach its end and you can lose your observation point. Its kinda frustrating.

I believe this new behavior is great but should only be applied to full display mode (CTRL+F2).
Hacker

Re: Extra lines below cursor

Post by *Hacker »

qx87,
This was changed in newer betas. Which beta are you using?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

2Hacker
Brief mode support is exactly what was added in the beta 2:
18.10.19 Fixed: Support ScrollingTopMargin and ScrollingBottomMargin also in brief view, scrolls sideways when less than the given number of lines is visible above/below (32/64)
And I agree that having these as separate options, instead of "all or nothing", would be more preferrable, because some users, indeed, might like it in one mode, but not the other.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
qx87

Post by *qx87 »

Hacker wrote: 2019-11-11, 20:40 UTC qx87,
This was changed in newer betas. Which beta are you using?
Beta 4.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Should I disable this option for brief mode? There isn't enough space in settings to offer separate options for full and brief view.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I'd suggest, add an INI-only key for configuring that. Something like:
ScrollingMarginModes=3
Sum of: 1 - work in full mode, 2 - work in brief mode.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a good idea.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Flint,
Brief mode support is exactly what was added in the beta 2
For mouse movement? I was talking about mouse movement for which the autoscroll was disabled in newer betas.
As for keyboard movement, I do not really understand how it is supposed to work in Brief view. I have "Extra lines below cursor: 4" but the view moves when the cursor reaches the last file in the pre-last column (the last column is not fully visible). I do not understand what 4 files should be visible in this case. Or is it 4 columns?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

2Hacker
For mouse movement? I was talking about mouse movement for which the autoscroll was disabled in newer betas.
I don't see any mention of mouse anywhere in this topic. So I'm sure the topic starter was talking about keyboard movements, since it's they that are affected by the change.
As for keyboard movement, I do not really understand how it is supposed to work in Brief view. I have "Extra lines below cursor: 4" but the view moves when the cursor reaches the last file in the pre-last column (the last column is not fully visible). I do not understand what 4 files should be visible in this case. Or is it 4 columns?
Looks like it's just a bug. I didn't have time to test this properly yet, but indeed, in some situations it doesn't work properly. I reported it here.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have added ScrollingMarginModes to beta 5 now. Please let me know what you think.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Thanks, works fine for me, except the actual key is named "ScrollingMarginFlags", and not "ScrollingMarginModes". :)

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Flint,
I don't see any mention of mouse anywhere in this topic. So I'm sure the topic starter was talking about keyboard movements, since it's they that are affected by the change.
Well, this
when you're meticulously searching necessary file with your eyes file column suddenly moves when you didn't reach its end and you can lose your observation point. Its kinda frustrating.
to me implied a problem with the mouse, since it was impossible to click a file in the last partially visible column in Brief mode since it scrolled away immediately in the earlier betas when you tried to move the mouse there. Of course, it was just an assumption.
I reported it here.
Thank you very much!

Roman
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Hacker wrote: 2019-11-13, 23:32 UTC Well, this <…> to me implied a problem with the mouse, since it was impossible to click a file in the last partially visible column in Brief mode since it scrolled away immediately in the earlier betas when you tried to move the mouse there. Of course, it was just an assumption.
No, this feature from the very beginning was meant to be exclusively for the keyboard navigation:
10.04.19 Added: When scrolling through file lists with the keyboard, keep a margin of 4 lines above/below the current position (32/64)
Indeed, with mouse it would be extremely annoying (just like it is with Explorer, when I have an Open/Save dialog, and I try to double-click a file/dir in a partially visible column, and it auto-scrolls, so the second click happens on a completely different file. That really infuriates me! But I digress.)
But even with keyboard I can see how this function might be unpleasant for users who are accustomed to normal scrolling. Early scroll is OK with Full mode, since it's "flowing" items one-by-one the same way as usual, just a bit earlier. But with Brief mode it's a one whole column jump, that happens earlier than you brain expected it, and of course that might put some users off. I'm not sure I would be able to cope with it myself, so I'm really glad we now have this option to keep the best from both worlds.

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Flint,
I agree completely and have nothing to add. :)

Roman
yong

Post by *yong »

May I suggest changing "Extra lines below cursor" to "Scroll margin (lines)" or something like that? Because this is actually a setting for scroll margins and the extra lines can appear above and below the cursor, and "Extra lines below cursor" is a bit difficult for translators to put to their native languages given the limited space in the configuration dialog box.