[Old] 'Other Colors' settings: color selector dropdown is too high

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[Old] 'Other Colors' settings: color selector dropdown is too high

Post by *Flint »

This is reproduced in 9.22a and 9.50 betas.

I. TC 32-bit
1. Change the DPI in TC Font settings to any value, different from 96.
2. Open the Settigns - Color, and take a look at the Others section, the right dropdown box where you choose the colors.
3. The right box has larger height than the left box (where you select the type).
Switch to default DPI, and they're equal heights again.

II. TC 64-bit
It behaves basically the same to the 32-bit version, but the height difference is there even for 96 DPI. However, in this version the height becomes equal when I select smaller DPI.

Screenshots:
x32 72 DPI | x32 96 DPI | x32 120 DPI
x64 72 DPI | x64 96 DPI | x64 120 DPI
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [Old] 'Other Colors' settings: color selector dropdown is too high

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This isn't a bug (except for the unscaled 72DPI): The color dialog box has the same height as the other color dialog boxes. The problem here is the "Others" dialog box: Its height is determined by Windows itself from the used font.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

But you could adjust the height of all the color boxes, so they were the same height as the standard Windows controls. Take a look at the 32-bit in 96 DPI: all the color dropdowns have the same height, and it's the same as the Others dropdown height, so they look perfectly aligned. But in 64-bit the colors are higher for some reason, and when you change DPI they also become higher. Even in 32-bit, instead of being scaled proportionally to remain identical, they become different. That just doesn't look right.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Currently most controls like buttons, listboxes etc. are scaled linearly with the dpi. So the comboboxes for colors are scaled to the same hight as the buttons now. The only exception is not owner drawn comboboxes - here the height cannot be set, it's set automatically by Windows from the font size. I don't know why it's not scaled linearly, the fonts ARE scaled linearly too. If I made the color comboboxes the same hight as these, I would have to resize a whole lot of other controls manualy too, e.g. the buttons.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I see, that's unfortunate. Still, it's a bit of a puzzle, how the 32-bit version ended up with exactly the correct sizes (in default DPI, that is), while the 64-bit have the discrepancy.

As a matter of fact, after I've got a laptop with DPI higher than usual, I started noticing how many places in TC become really untidy in DPI>96, with all the control displacements and size differences. I hope one day you'll decide to deal with it all, because HiDPI screens are becoming more and more common, so lots of users are seeing this mess instead of neatly aligned dialogs…

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's due to the slightly different component library in Delphi and Lazarus.