ctrl-w crash tc at pc start

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hurdet
Power Member
Power Member

Re: ctrl-w crash tc at pc start

Post by *Hurdet »

Not i not print, perhaps he has catched another crash.
Tomorrow I try a new dump.
I use:
procdump64.exe -ma -e -i C:\dumps TOTALCMD64.EXE
Hurdet
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Hurdet »

I tried to get a dumps but do not happen.
Not exactly a crash occurs but totalcmd out without message.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Hurdet wrote: 2019-12-20, 19:31 UTCI tried to get a dumps but do not happen.
Not exactly a crash occurs but totalcmd out without message.
Does this silent exit form TC happen if you start Total Commander with clean main ini file as a parameter:

<path\to\totalcmd>\Totalcmd64.exe /i="%temp%\randomname.ini"

and then do actions that usually trigger a problem?

If problem doesn't happen when TC starts with clean ini, you can check what settings of your regular main ini causes it by making its backup and then restarting TC after removing sections and parameters from this ini and saving it.
If you'll find what ini settings cause the problem, you can post them here. Or you can send whole problem ini file (with sensitive data removed) to Christian Ghisler's support email.

If problem happens even when TC uses clean ini settings file, a video of this silent Total Commander exit may help. You can record it with some desktop screen recording software like CamStudio, modern Windows versions also have built-in tool Problem Steps Recorder (psr.exe) which you can use for this purpose. After recording whole event from starting Total Commander to its silent exit, you can either upload video somewhere and post a link here, or, if it has some sensitive data, send this link to Christian Ghisler's support email.

BTW, what 64-bit Total Commander version do you use (see Total Commander's menu Help->About)?
Does this problem happen also with 32-bit version Total Commander when it uses the same wincmd.ini?
What Windows version do you use (you can check it in Software tab of dialog opened by executing a command cm_SysInfo from Total Commander's command line, or in Windows about dialog which shows up after executing a command winver).

Edit: Also, by default Windows itself creates wer files, usually with dumps, when some app crashes. You can check following locations:
%localappdata%\CrashDumps\
%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\WER\
%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\WER\

for presence of files with names by mask totalcmd64*.dmp, or for *.wer and *.txt files with text totalcmd64 inside. In folders with such *.txt or *.wer files there is usually also some dump file (*.dmp, *.mdmp, *.kdmp), which may be packed to cab archive. You can use windbg as Christian Ghisler explained above to check that dumps for problem details. If in such folder there is only *.wer file which describes crash event, you can post its content here.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
Hurdet
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Hurdet »

Here the files that I was able to find.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Hurdet, your wer files tell that crashes happen in DUI70.dll and shcore.dll.

I'm not sure this information will be enough to find the reason of crashes.

For further help, please follow other advices from my above post, especially check whether 32-bit Total Commander also have this problem, and whether problem happens if to start your Total Commander with clean wincmd.ini.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Since the crash isn't in TC itself, I will have to move this to "Will not be changed", sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hurdet
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Hurdet »

I don't think it's a crash, because when it happens on reboot it restores the last opened tabs correctly.
I feel like there is a rambling "exit".
In one pc it happens to me very rarely, while on another, that start with "runas.exe", almost at every start.
Hurdet
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Hurdet »

The idea that I made is that the problem happens a few times on the first boot because in that situation the software did not load completely and it is slower to do this because it is not yet in the windows cache.
And for this the commands sent with CopyData and SendMessage produce unwanted effects.
Perhaps a mechanism could be envisaged to control this situation.
For now I have put a delay that seems to work.