TC950: deletion of a large number of files without permission

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

TC950: deletion of a large number of files without permission

Post by *wanderer »

I just had the following experience. I had a network folder (mapped drive) which contained some old files. I decided to delete it, so i pressed DEL on it. TC started counting the files and when the count reached about 14700 files, it started deleting them. On the first file it tried to delete, it popped up a window saying the file could not be deleted and asked if i wished to skip/skip all/retry or abort. I selected Retry and it continued as if the file was successfully deleted. Being somewhat suspicious though, after it had deleted some files, i cancelled the deletion and re-started it. The same dialog popped up again on the same file.

After some research, i found out that i had read-only NTFS permissions on that folder, TC however seemed to proceed with the deletion of the files as if it could delete them normally, without displaying any other error messages. Of course it did not delete any of the files, the delete dialog though processed almost all of them. When it reached about 13.200, it stopped, popping the same "skip/skip all/retry or abort" dialog on the same file it had prompted me in the beginning! This time though, clicking on Retry did not have the same effect. The process did not proceed, no matter how many times i pressed Retry.

PS: related INI settings are:
F8 deleted to recycle bin (checked)
Use explorer delete method (unchecked)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC950: deletion of a large number of files without permission

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

That's probably because of the feature where TC tries to copy/delete as much as possible without interruption, and only ask at the end for the files it couldn't copy/delete. You can disable this via wincmd.ini, [Configuration]
SkippedFileCopy=0
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC950: deletion of a large number of files without permission

Post by *wanderer »

Aha. Thanks for the explanation Christian. Perhaps it should be more obvious (i.e. display a small explanation message after the first Retry, pointing at the help file for more detailed info).
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.