No CHM opening on XP if to start TC with "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity" option set

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

No CHM opening on XP if to start TC with "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity" option set

Post by *DrShark »

To reproduce on Windows XP:
1. Set in Total Commander LNK shortcut the "Run with different credentials" advanced property (screenshot).
2. Start Total Commander with that shortcut, and in the runasuser dialog which will appear, set an option "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity" (screenshot).
3. Try to open the CHM help with F1 or in any other way: it won't work, help won't be opened.

In the same environment without CHM file installed, but with HLP file present, TC opens HLP help fine.

If problem will be confirmed, there are possible solutions:
* if it's possible fro TC to detect that it was started with "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity" option set, it should try to open available HLP help even if CHM help is installed too.
* maybe it's worth to include HLP file in the installer for this case, or at least if HLP is not installed, on F1 try in shuch environmnt TC should show a message with text like "Download the help file in HLP format from http://www.ghisler.com" instead of trying to load the CHM.
Last edited by DrShark on 2020-02-27, 09:19 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No CHM opening on XP if to start TC with Protect my computer and data from unauthorized progrem activity option enab

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is a security "feature" because CHM help uses the HTML control, which can run active content like Javascript and even launch programs.

I think that it shouldn't be opened when you check that option.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: No CHM opening on XP if to start TC with Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity option set

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-02-27, 08:21 UTCI think that it shouldn't be opened when you check that option.
You mean user shouldn't enable the "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity"? I prefer to have it set when I'm not planning to change or delete files.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-02-27, 08:21 UTCThis is a security "feature" because CHM help uses the HTML control, which can run active content like Javascript and even launch programs.
That's why I suggested to use HLP help in this case.
Last edited by DrShark on 2020-02-27, 09:24 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No CHM opening on XP if to start TC with "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized progrem activity" option se

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can just the delete the CHM file if you want to use the HLP file. They contain the exact same information, so there is no benefit to use the CHM in one case and the HLP in another.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: No CHM opening on XP if to start TC with "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity" option se

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-02-27, 08:36 UTCYou can just the delete the CHM file if you want to use the HLP file. They contain the exact same information, so there is no benefit to use the CHM in one case and the HLP in another.
If TC is started with "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity" option set, it can't delete files. I think TC should be smart in this case and try to open HLP even if CHM is present, and if there is no HLP, it should show a message that user should download the HLP from ghisler.com (copying still works with "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity" option set, so user will be able to put the HLP file in %COMMANDER_PATH%).