[9.51rc5] 'show [] around directories' unchecks when I check 'append \'

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

[9.51rc5] 'show [] around directories' unchecks when I check 'append \'

Post by *MVV »

There is a new option to append backslashes to folder names in panels. However its behaviour is not consistent:
1. When I enable appending '\', displaying '[]' is unchecked. So it looks like I can't enable both (strange, there is no sense in such limitation).
2. When I enable displaying '[]', appending '\' is not unchecked. So I can enable both (as expected logically and from two checkboxes).

Also, when I enable both '\' and '[]', TC adds extra space between '\' and ']', so names look like "[Documents\ ]". Please fix it, looks weird.
Hacker

Re: [9.51rc5] 'show [] around directories' unchecks when I check 'append \'

Post by *Hacker »

MVV,
Well, it's mentioned somewhere that it's by design.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's indeed disabled intentionally because it looks so weird. But I keep a way to still enable both for people who absolutely want it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It looks quite strange and buggy that different click sequences produce different results. If you remove spaces between backslash and bracket, it will look better. Anyway, there is no reason to restrict user from setting both, he/she should be able to set desired configuration.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Well, if I could decide on my own, I would just disallow both options together. But it was requested, so I use this compromise, so most people don't get exposed to this atrocity.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I really think that such inconsistency should be treated rather as a bug than as a feature. Most users will just set desire set of options and close the dialog, even if you won't help them to uncheck first option after checking second one. But these two options don't conflict so should be allowed to set together w/o any limitations.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-03-12, 10:55 UTC Well, if I could decide on my own, I would just disallow both options together. But it was requested, so I use this compromise, so most people don't get exposed to this atrocity.
While i understand and share the dislike for [] together with \, i don't agree with making the UX of the configuration dialog behave inconsistently as a response or expression of this dislike.

In my opinion, just decouple those two options and keep them as two individual and independent checkboxes. People intuitively understand how to use those. People can easily turn on either or both options, and if they find themselves turned off (ha!) by the directory name display, they intuitively know how to get rid of this atrocity again.

The way it is now makes for a rather confusing user experience, which probably leaves a worse impression than a (user-enabled) directory name with both [] and \ ever could. Just my 2c, of course... :)
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

elgonzo wrote: 2020-03-12, 17:46 UTC
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-03-12, 10:55 UTC Well, if I could decide on my own, I would just disallow both options together. But it was requested, so I use this compromise, so most people don't get exposed to this atrocity.
The way it is now makes for a rather confusing user experience, which probably leaves a worse impression than a (user-enabled) directory name with both [] and \ ever could. Just my 2c, of course... :)
Fully agree.
The 2 boxes in the UI should be independend.
Btw. I would never use any of this options for displaying dirs.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64