Total Commander Permissions

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jaimetur

Total Commander Permissions

Post by *jaimetur »

Hi,

Recently i've uninstall and reinstall TC on my laptop and everything have got abnormal. I have many issues that I cannot solve:

1. Total Commander cannot be pinned on my taskbar in W10. Only way to pin it is if I run it in Administrator mode.
2. TC cannot save configuratino files unless I use the same folder where TC is installed. In any other folder it says that it does not have permissions to write. Even if I run TC in admin mode.
3. TC cannot delete any file on my system due to permissions (even if I run it in Admin mode).
4. TC don't delete shortcuts access from meny and desktop when uninstalled

All the issues seems to be related to permissions. Everything was working perfectly until yesterday that I decided to change the instalation folder of TC, so I uninstall the previous version and install it again in the new folder.

I have tried to update to the latest releases (I was using 9.21, then I installed 9.51 and finally 10.0 beta1) with all versions I have the same issues.

Please help. I cannot live without TC on my computer.

Thank you so much in advance.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Total Commander Permissions

Post by *petermad »

What was your previous installation folder, and what is the new one?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi and welcome 2jaimetur

petermad wrote: 2021-03-14, 23:56 UTC What was your previous installation folder, and what is the new one?

..and where is your used INI-file located?

See menu HELP > About Total Commander... >>
Settings files:
Program file:
(you can copy that and paste it here)

jaimetur

Post by *jaimetur »

My previous installation folder was: c:\Program Files\Total Commander and the new one is c:\Total Commander
INI File initially was in my backup folder c:\user\myuser\Dropbox\Backup_Settings\Total Commander but I tried to change it to many other folders with the same result. The only place where TC can modify the ini files is in the same installation folder.

BTW, I have realized that if I install again TC in the previous folder, everything works smooth again, but it is very weird... why I cannot change the installation folder once installed? This only happens to me in my work laptop, because in my personal laptop it works fine and I checked that I can install it in any folder without problem.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Thanks for the update!

If you had installed the TC, the installation path is also written to the registry, and TC will maybe still use that information.

Maybe you should adjust the path(s):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ghisler\Total Commander]
--or--
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ghisler\Total Commander]
"IniFileName"="%APPDATA%\\GHISLER\\wincmd.ini"
"FtpIniName"="%APPDATA%\\GHISLER\\wcx_ftp.ini"
"InstallDir"="c:\\totalcmd"

Please tell us what you have found written there.

If not that, we have to check something with your ini file.

More info collected over there > https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54260&p=360199#p360199
or also see the main page with all collected info >> https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52425
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please check in menu Help - About Total Commander where the wincmd.ini is located.
Normal programs cannot write under "Program Files".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com