"Show" buttons frozen in Sync tool

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

browny

"Show" buttons frozen in Sync tool

Post by *browny »

I was comparing a subdirectory in zip archive and a directory.
"Equal" and "non-equal" buttons were checked. While it was still comparing the lists, I unchecked "equal" button.
Displayed list was correct, but then It was impossible to check or uncheck any buttons in the "Show" group, while everything else seemed to be working fine.
Closing and starting the tool changed nothing, hence TC had to be restarted.

A very rare thing to happen - maybe twice in 9.51, and now once in 10.0 b6 (both 64-bit).
Unfortunately, I have no idea how to reproduce this.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Show" buttons frozen in Sync tool

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Some people have reported before that the buttons could become unresponsive, but I was never able to reproduce it.
I will try with your instructions to reproduce it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce it. Does anyone know a way to reproduce this problem (not working buttons)?
browny

Post by *browny »

Today I noticed another strange behaviour when comparing several marked subdirectories with .7z archive contents.
The disk was quite busy at the time - all files on the same drive, and also a virtual machine was running in background (also on the same physical drive).
Only "not equal" button was checked. As it turned out, only one file was to be found.
While matching was in progress, several files were already processed as equal, some still had question marks, and in the visible part of the list one was non-equal. I used down arrow key to get to the file and pressed Ctrl+F3. Matching had completed while I was in compare tool, and when I closed the comparison window, the list in Sync tool still had several question marks, and only one file was "not equal".
I repeated matching process without any interference, and this time only that one file was left in the list.

My best guess is that interaction between the matching routine and the GUI has issues, so that data might get lost.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not confirmed, sorry. Maybe you closed the compare dialog with ESC, interrupting the sync tool comparison.
browny

Post by *browny »

Probably it was an Esc key, and response to keyboard events was slow due to processor and disk load. So I might have pressed it longer than usual or repeatedly. Thanks for the explanation.
browny

Post by *browny »

The issue with buttons not reacting to mouse still exists in TC 11.02 64-bit, Windows 11.
I made a few compares/synchronizations, and all worked as it should.
Then it was a 100 MB 7-zip archive with unpacked contents over 360 MB, and I tried to change buttons state while it was still comparing.
Suddenly buttons were not responding.
Hovering mouse highlighted the buttons, but clicks did nothing; duplicates and singles buttons could not be changed too.
As if mouse events were processed in a different windows procedure.
Compare and Close buttons, checkboxes - all reacted to mouse normally.
Keyboard shortcuts saved the situation, it was possible to check/uncheck buttons and complete synchronization.
Reopening the dialog does not help; to resume normal mouse clicks handling TC had to be restarted.

And I still do not know how to reproduce this behaviour. After TC restart multiple clicks on buttons while comparison was going on for the same big archive - all was fine.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This can happen during unpacking of huge files. Are you using a 7zip plugin?
browny

Post by *browny »

7-zip plugin is installed and used for a long time; and I update .dll files from the current versions of 7-zip.
browny

Post by *browny »

Today this happened when comparing in VirtualBox - host and guest wer Windows 11, TC 11.02 64-bit running as Administrator.
No archives were involved - host drive share on the left, VM drive on the right.
Initially only Left button was checked, and the list was empty, but there were 3 unequal files which could be seen after using keyboard shortcuts.
Probably unrelated to plugins, but might depend on having an empty list after comparison.
Still not reproducible, and this never happened immediately after restart.

PS. I have got 3 forum notification that would not disappear. Checkboxes are inactive, buttons and hot links allow to mark as read, but notifications keep staying.