(Ctrl+)Home/End in the Filter field of the "Choose command" or "Choose plugin property" dialogs

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

(Ctrl+)Home/End in the Filter field of the "Choose command" or "Choose plugin property" dialogs

Post by *Fla$her »

An old painful issue.
I understand that the Home and End keys are busy moving to the beginning and end of the list.
But is it correct to leave this behavior when setting the focus on the "Filter:" field? The same goes for the coupled Ctrl+ key.
Also, Ctrl + Shift + Left/Right should select text by words, but it doesn't happen.
Last edited by Fla$her on 2021-04-24, 00:35 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: (Ctrl+)Home/End, Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right in the Filter field of the "Choose command" or "Choose plugin property" dialo

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Home and End are already used in the quick filter to jump to the beginning/end of the filter text. I use this a lot to modify a filter (you can re-open the last filter with Ctrl+Shift+S).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: (Ctrl+)Home/End, Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right in the Filter field of the "Choose command" or "Choose plugin property" dialo

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
Please read the names of the dialogs in the topic title. It's not about quick search/filtering in file panels.
Call: cm_CommandBrowser; Ctrl+M > [=?] Plugin button
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you. Yes, I'm using Home/End for the command list, just like the cursor keys. It's debatable whether they should work for the edit box instead. Ctrl+Shift+Left+Right isn't a standard Windows hotkey in edit boxes, I have to handle it manually in places where I add it, e.g. in the TC command line.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

May I suggest to make Home and End work in the edit box if it is focused. Make Home and End work in the command list if focused, and make Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End ALWAYS work in the commands list (as they do now)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It's debatable whether they should work for the edit box instead.
Depending on the focus. I like the petermad offer.

ghisler(Author) wrote:Ctrl+Shift+Left+Right isn't a standard Windows hotkey in edit boxes
Why non-standard?
Copy, paste, and other general keyboard shortcuts ⋁

Ctrl + Shift with an arrow keySelect a block of text.

Hotkey acts the same in many edit fields: Win+R, notepad, Explorer address field and many more.
In the TC, if I'm not mistaken, this is the only problem field.
I was wrong. There was a glitch. Now this hotkey is all right. I apologize for anxiety. :roll: Removed from the title.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: (Ctrl+)Home/End in the Filter field of the "Choose command" or "Choose plugin property" dialogs

Post by *Fla$her »

Fla$her wrote: 2021-04-23, 19:28 UTC
ghisler(Author) wrote:It's debatable whether they should work for the edit box instead.
Depending on the focus. I like the petermad offer.
I would yet like to be heard. Often have to press Home/End for the convenience of editing, while the current behavior is confusing.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: (Ctrl+)Home/End in the Filter field of the "Choose command" or "Choose plugin property" dialogs

Sorry, I prefer to leave it as it is now.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
Very sorry. Well, honestly, it's very inconvenient to edit like now. It is very long to move the cursor character-by-character with left/right arrows.
Maybe at least pass this behavior for Ctrl + Home/End in a focused filter field?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

OT

The "Quick search" field in the "Directory Tree"-window (CD Tree... Alt+F10) would also be a field for me,
which, in my opinion, could be considered for a revision in the sense of a better editability.

OT/