ß10 file-panel:cursor jumps up 4 counts instead of open

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

georgeb

ß10 file-panel:cursor jumps up 4 counts instead of open

Post by *georgeb »

I just realized that when double-clicking on a file near the bottom of a file-panel (usually last-but-one or last) the cursor with that file underneath will jump up/re-position 4 positions in the panel-window instead of opening that file with the associated application as it should.

It seemingly doesn't occur completely reproducible, the last-but-one entry will jump up even more often than the entry at the very bottom of the window - and sometimes the file WILL OPEN THEREAFTER within the associated program as well, but only after having jumped up 4 positions in the window before that open-procedure may or may not occur.

If it does not open and only will jump up, then in the new window-position (4 counts higher) a double-click or pressing enter there will open the file quite normally but only on the second attempt, so to say.

This observation is new so others may chime in with more detailed observations on their systems or if they can confirm such behavior at all.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ß10 file-panel:cursor jumps up 4 counts instead of open

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Not confirmed.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2georgeb
Does it happen in normal or in dark mode? What view do you use? More data are needed to reproduce this problem.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2georgeb
Could it have anything to to with this setting: "Configuration" -> "Options" -> "Operation" -> "Main program" -> "Extra lines below cursor"

Does it change for you if you disable this setting?

And as Usher asks, what view are you using: Brief View or Full View/Custom Columns View?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
georgeb

Post by *georgeb »

Ok, first of all thanks for the suggestions.

System here: Win10forWorkstation, 20H2, latest updates
TC ß10, Full View, no dark mode

And yes, bingo!, @petermad already has been on the right track! Removing the (set to 4) "Extra lines below cursor"-setting made the phenomenon go away.

So for me 2 questions remain:
1. When was this setting introduced and set to 4 by default? I certainly did not set it to "on/4" myself actively and on purpose.
2. What is the intention behind that setting and how is it supposed to behave correctly? If one double-clicks on a file in full-view that is closer to the bottom than 4 lines - and with that setting enabled - should it just "jump up" and re-position as I have observed - or should it open up as well within the program associated at the same time? Because my observation has been that it will open up only about 30% of the time and in about 70% of the time it will just re-position without opening in that same step.

If all goes well and as intended one would assume that it should open up on double-click in 100% of the cases, regardless of re-positioning or not as triggered by that setting. Or am I wrong? For me it is hard to imagine that - with that setting enabled - the correct behavior could be only to jump up/re-position without further action.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2georgeb
Is the line you want to click fully visible or only partially?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
georgeb

Post by *georgeb »

Usher wrote: 2021-05-19, 15:59 UTC 2georgeb
Is the line you want to click fully visible or only partially?
Fully visible, most certainly occurring for the last-but-one file-entry but also observed for the 3rd position from bottom, although there are times when the 3rd-from-bottom-file will open normally, without re-positioning that is.

It is precisely this lack of absolute reproducibility that made me certain this had to be a bug. My initial thinking didn't even consider an options/settings-problem although I have to confess that that would have made little difference as I've been totally unaware of that option and still don't really comprehend what the benefit/intention behind this setting would be.

Addendum:
I've done a new test-run again and now it seems that - when always double-clicking on the last-but-one-file - it will strictly alternate between jumping without opening and directly opening the next file reaching the last-but-one-position which, when clicked a 2nd time, won't open again but this time will rather jump up without opening. This alternation continued until the real end-of-filelist for that panel had been reached. Needless to say that at this point the jumping came to an end as there were no more files to follow for jumping up.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2georgeb
Can you use another mouse connected to another port and slow down double-click speed?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
georgeb

Post by *georgeb »

Usher wrote: 2021-05-20, 00:18 UTC 2georgeb
Can you use another mouse connected to another port and slow down double-click speed?
Unfortunately not that easy. The phenomenon is occurring on a Lenovo laptop with precision touchpad. And what is the theory behind mouse-double-click-speed causing such a phenomenon?

Although - there might be something to it. For testing purposes I just tried to reproduce the effect by 20x-times hitting the Enter-key on the last-but-one entry. Result: no jump at all. The jump will however occur by going downward with the cursor key - but that seems to be expected as using the cursor-key does not involve opening.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The "Extra lines below cursor" setting does not affect clicking with the mouse, only scrolling via keyboard (cursor keys, page up/down etc). Even when I Ctrl+click on an item, it doesn't scroll. Maybe some background tool sends extra characters to Total Commander, or you use an extension like TWinkey which tweaks the behaviour of the program?
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

georgeb wrote: 2021-05-20, 04:04 UTC
Usher wrote: 2021-05-20, 00:18 UTC 2georgeb
Unfortunately not that easy. The phenomenon is occurring on a Lenovo laptop with precision touchpad.
Just plug any mouse in any USB port of your laptop and lower precision. It can't be easier.
georgeb wrote: 2021-05-20, 04:04 UTCAnd what is the theory behind mouse-double-click-speed causing such a phenomenon?
All the world is getting older, including your PC and you.
With years user hands are getting slower and less precise (what about Parkinson's disease?), so the user may have some problems when doing actions near to the touchpad border. Maybe the touchpad is less precise in some areas, maybe there are some vibrations or deformations in some touchpad areas - and the software reads intended single gesture as more than one action.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
georgeb

Post by *georgeb »

No Twinkey or similar tweaks here.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it, so I will move this thread to "will not be changed". Please use the workaround to turn off "Extra lines below cursor" if you have this particular problem.