Copying (quite) large files on an external USB drive leads to losing connection to the drive

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

M0zzie

Copying (quite) large files on an external USB drive leads to losing connection to the drive

Post by *M0zzie »

Hi Guys,
A bit of background: 'have been attempting to move some of my BDR rips on an external USB HDD (USB 3). Considering we are talking about folders in excess of 250GB, I would say it's a fair bit of data.
AS TC has been my go to file manager ever since version ...5 or 6 (can't remember), the choice was obvious. The problem that I've noticed (with regularity) is that after ~ 150 - 180GB, it causes the system to freeze and lose connection to that external drive.
I have tried (1)both, copying as well as moving with the same results (different moments when the drive gets disconnected), I have tried (2) using drives that I have checked and know to be 100%... with the same results. And (3) tried with both, File Explorer (not a fan of(!)) and DOpus 12 and both have successfully finished the jobs (transferring 280 respectively 272 GB folders) without the slightest inconvenience.
BTW I am referring to the latest beta (#10) as of 20th of May '21
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Copying (quite) large files on an external USB drive leads to losing connection to the drive

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC is using a standard Windows function for copying (CopyFileEx), so I don't see a single reason why it should only fail in TC.
You can try to use Copy and Paste instead, it would copy the files via Explorer method:
Ctrl+C, Tab, Ctrl+V.

It sounds more like a power problem - when the USB port doesn't supply enough power, the connection can become unstable.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
M0zzie

Re: Copying (quite) large files on an external USB drive leads to losing connection to the drive

Post by *M0zzie »

Thanks for your comment. Much appreciated. I think you're right; it's related to Windows' power saving scheme. Just completed a 280GB transfer while having the "don't Sleep" on.... and it worked flawlessly :)
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

I have encountered this a few times in the past. That's why I never copy/move more than 100GB at a time when working with USB. Changing system power profile or power settings for the devices did not have any effect. However, giving it a minute before initiating a next batch always worked. So, I attributed it to overloaded disk controller. But I never tried it using Explorer.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64