directory listing on share is very slow

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

latino

directory listing on share is very slow

Post by *latino »

I updated friday from 7.56 to 7.56a and since then a simple listing of a directory (it doesn't matter how many files it contains) is very slow. Anyone experienced the same?
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, latino.

Cannot confirm.

Your upgrade from T.C. 7.56 to T.C. 7.56a and the problem that folder listings are slow must be a temporal coincidence. I.e. the cause must be something else, not the updated T.C. 7.56a version.

How about displaying the same share folders inside Windows Explorer? Is it as slow as in T.C. 7.56a?

Can you use two parallel T.C. installations, T.C. 7.56 and T.C. 7.56a, and verify that T.C. 7.56 still displays the folder listings fast, but T.C. 7.56a takes much more time? (Any hint how much slower T.C. 7.56a is in your environment?)

Kind regards,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Either something with the network is wrong, or some kind of virus scanner or firewall is slowing down TC (they often treat new programs more thoroughly).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
javier25

Post by *javier25 »

I am seeing the same problem with folders that have a lot of files on shares but not on directory listing. I am on TC 56a but it could have started with TC56 as I don't this operation very often.

The folder on the share drive has 6,475 items of around 1 MB each. TC never finishes reading the folder. The message "Reading Directories: 1 (Esc to abort)" shows up around every minute then beeps and it disappears but still is busy.

Windows Explorer took 45 seconds to read it but TC never ends, I have left him running up to 10 minutes and it doesn't end.

Thanks,