File permission behaviour on moved folders/files

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

swimma

File permission behaviour on moved folders/files

Post by *swimma »

I experience following on Win7 with TC 7.56a.

I have this file in the folder:

D:\FolderA\Test\test.txt

All permissions on Test and test.txt are inherited from FolderA permissions.

I also have another folder on the same NTFS volume. FolderB has different permissions than FolderA.

D:\FolderB

Now I go in TC in FolderA to Test and move it via F6 to FolderB (opened in another TC panel). Copy NTFS permissions box is not checked.

Following strange thing happens on resulting files and folders.

D:\FolderB\Test <- has correct permissions inherited from FolderB
D:\FolderB\Test\test.txt <- still has permissions of FolderA however Include inheritable permissions checkbox is set (nonsens!)

This behaviour is different if I move the folder Test with Windows Explorer. Resulting file and folder have correct inherited permissions of FolderB.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hello swimma,
What are your XPMoveMethod and XPMoveMethodAdmin settings?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
swimma

Post by *swimma »

Hello, I have in my wincmd.ini neither XPMoveMethod no XPMoveMethodAdmin setting at all.
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

So please take a look at the Online Help F1 and search for the settings that maybe can help you.

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
swimma

Post by *swimma »

I found this in the Help:
XPMoveMethod=
1: When moving files within a drive, the permissions of the target folder are used
2: As 1, but when moving folders, all files and subfolders in them are changed to the target permissions too
0: The permissions of the files are kept
Default: XP:1, other systems: 0
For me Option 2 is exactly the Win7 Explorer behaviour which I prefer. I set now in wincmd.ini
[Configuration]
XPMoveMethod=2
XPMoveMethodAdmin=2
The result of folder move is not the same like before but still surprising (and different than Windows Explorer does):

D:\FolderB\Test <- still has permissions of FolderA however Include inheritable permissions checkbox is set (nonsens!)
D:\FolderB\Test\test.txt <- still has permissions of FolderA however Include inheritable permissions checkbox is set (nonsens!)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The reason why XPMoveMethod=2 isn't the default is that it would be horribly slow when moving folders with many many files/folders in them. I had it set in one release version, and it was causing a lot of negative feedback. That's why I made it optional.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

T'would be interesting to have a second drop down menu (in addition to the current "advanced drop down"), for the Copy/Move dialog to override the Copy/Move method for a given operation, without needing to resort to changing the general ini options.
swimma

Post by *swimma »

I expect that XPMoveMethod=2 copies the Windows Explorer behaviour in Win 7 but it doesn't. Or is this a particular bug in my Win 7?