Not possible to delete multiple files in listbox

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Chilius

Not possible to delete multiple files in listbox

Post by *Chilius »

Hello,

When i do a search for files, with the search function in TC 7.56a, and use "Feed to Listbox" (to see the found files in a list), it's not possible to delete multiple files in that list, it's only possible to delete them one by one.

In 7.55a (and older versions) this always worked fine.

Thanks for Total Commander, it's my favorite piece of software ! :wink:
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

2Chilius: Welcome at the forum!

Sorry, but I cannot confirm it.

Deleting multiple files of the "feed to listbox" results works fine here (TC 7.56a, WinXP SP3)
#5767 Personal license
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Chilius,
Works fine here, too. Win 7 64-bit.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Chilius

Post by *Chilius »

When i tried it later i could delete more than one file, but still when i selected all the files i wanted to delete at once it didn't work as it should (i wanted to delete all the files (+/- 50) on the list with the exception of 4 files).

When right-clicking the selected files some small basic context menu is shown, and when this small menu is shown the delete function doesn't work (simply nothing happens when you click it).

*** the link to that picture isn't allowed here ??? ***
@admin: Don't you think anyone has more funny things to do in his free time than reporting a possible bug ? whatever...

Normally my context menu is much larger (with many options from other software) and when this larger menu pops up i can delete multiple files as intended.
So it's a bit of a question when or why that smaller menu pops up.

Only thing you can try to replicate this is to select a lot of files (50 or so) and after that deselect some of them and try if you can see that smaller context menu also when right-clicking the selected files in some situations (that's how i replicated the situation later to make this small picture).
I have to admit it took me quite some time to simulate that situation again.

I use WinXP SP3 32-bit and the files i wanted to delete are just simple files (no system, hidden or read-only files).
I've done exactly the same thing tens of times last year with older TC versions and never had this problem before and this is the first time i trying to it since my update to 7.56a.

I hope i've given enough information for you to find what this is.

For the moment i'm back to 7.55a.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Chilius,
Does it work using F8 or Delete?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Chilius, after 'feed to listbox' you may use TC internal delete command (Del or F8 or delete button at the bottom of TC window).
Chilius

Post by *Chilius »

Yes i tried to delete with the onscreen button F8, the <del> button and with the <shift>+<del> buttons, but nothing worked at that moment.

That's how i usually delete, when that didn't work i tried deleting by using the context menu.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The Explorer delete method fails with files from multiple drives. try deleting them separately for each drive.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Chilius

Post by *Chilius »

The list showed files from 4 different directories on the same drive, the 4 files i deselected were all the files from 2 of those 4 directories, so the ones i selected to delete at the end were coming from 2 directories on the same drive.

I've tried to simulate the same situation in TC 7.55a but all works fine in there.

If none of you experts can replicate the situation i guess it must be something on my system causing this issue.

I don't mind doing one little step back to 7.55a, it does all i can wish for (and much more).

Thanks for your time guys, and special thanks to Ghisler for making this awesome handy piece of software, it's simply unbelievable Microsoft never replaced their poor annoying browser with something like Total Commander. It really gives you full control.

Good luck !!! :D
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Well it is buggy behaviour on TC's part that when Explorer Delete method is enabled...
Deleting Files (same drive) in a TC "Search Result:" ListBox
---> TC does not update it's own listbox to show the files are deleted.

And when Explorer Delete method is enabled, AND Windows is set to Automatically delete to Recycle Bin (no confirmation).
---> There is no message that anything has been done at all, and TC still displays the files in its own Listbox.

Similarly, when you try to delete files from 2 different drives in a "Search Result:" ListBox...
---> No Message. Files are still displayed. And none of the files are deleted.

Total Commander should at least be able to switch to non-Explorer delete method when it needs to. A "Search Results:" Listbox is a special case, and should not lose functionality just because the end-user has changed the "function" to delete most files with.

Total Commander should use non-explorer delete method for those special-case ListBoxes as otherwise the behaviour is seen as a fault with TC.

I haven't tested, but sounds like this would affect MVV's VirtualPanel as well --- and lose functionality of the VP if one wanted to use Explorer Delete method for normal usage.

And if you, Mr.Ghisler don't agree that TC Delete method should be used in these cases that actually break Total Commander functionality, then TC could at least internally pre-Sort the selected files into separate-drive lists, and call an explorer delete method for each group.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The question is whether the files really get deleted in Chilius case or not. As I understand it, they don't even get deleted, something which I cannot reproduce here when they are all on the same drive...
thuan ha

Post by *thuan ha »

Maybe the path length more than 256 character?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That could be - files with such long names cannot be deleted to recycle bin, but deleting with Shift+Delete will work.