Extension cannot be renamed on Desktop

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

andres992

Extension cannot be renamed on Desktop

Post by *andres992 »

Using TC 7.56a and XPSP3.

When I have created a file with an extension (let's say text.txt) on the desktop and I use "Open Desktop Folder" in TC, I can rename the part "text" but I cannot rename (or even select) the extension "txt".

In other directories, the extension can be renamed.

The option "Select only the file name when renaming" is blank.
#68776 Personal Licence
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

To fix that do this:

1. Open your Desktop in Windows Explorer.
2. Click "Tools" -> "Folder Options..." in the menu.
3. Click the "View" tab.
4. Remove the checkmark at "Hide extensions for known file types".
5: Click "Apply"

Open your Desktop folder in TC and try again.

\\Desktop is a virtual folder and TC only have limited functionality in these pseudo-folders - a lot is controlled by Windows for these virtual system folders.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

andres992, you may use command cd %$DESKTOP% to open physical desktop folder for your user profile (virtual desktop folder contains items from two physical desktop folders - user's folder and folder for all users) - TC can do anything there. :)
andres992

Post by *andres992 »

Thanks!

I think that unhiding the extensions of known file types is a solution (though a working one) that does not reflect the actual potential of Total Commander (I like that TC is quite independent from Windows Explorer).

Therefore, I think that cd %$DESKTOP% is the solution I was looking for.

I only wonder why that command is not included in the default menus of TC (and instead of that, a link to the virtual folder is provided). I now made a user command with cd %$DESKTOP% and this one works much better.
#68776 Personal Licence
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Virtual folders sometimes quite useful. E.g. you may install a font using virtual Fonts folder.

andres992, I recommend you to check all commands in command browser (cm_CommandBrowser) - maybe you'll want to add to menu other commands too. :) E.g. commands to copy to clipboard names w/o path, additional selection commands (files only/folders only/both), switching ignore list etc.

Anyway, unhiding extensions in Windows is the first thing I do after reinstalling Windows - I like to see them (and, many viruses have double extensions so it helps to detect such files).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I recommend you to check all commands in command browser (cm_CommandBrowser) - maybe you'll want to add to menu other commands too
Or you might want to try out my extended menus which include all commands (and more) - see signature.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar