TotalCommander crashes on win7x64

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

IngenTing

TotalCommander crashes on win7x64

Post by *IngenTing »

Ever since installation of the latest Microsoft updates this week my Total Commander 7.56a crashes. I have tried on 2 computers; pack or open files, or copying files to a networked drive or deleting a file on a networked drive.

Having used Totalcommander for many years, I now realize how many tasks I use it for each day !!

From eventviewer:

Faulting application name: TOTALCMD.EXE, version: 7.5.6.1, time stamp: 0x2a425e19
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16695, time stamp: 0x4cc7ab86
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00058e0f
Faulting process id: 0x298
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbcaaa50543bf4
Faulting application path: C:\totalcmd\TOTALCMD.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: c94efb0a-369d-11e0-9b92-005056c00008
IngenTing

Post by *IngenTing »

Couldn´t stand to be without TC, so by painstakelingly uninstall all updates installed 9.2.2011 one by one, I have located the culprit to be KB2393802 and installed all the other updates again. Now things seem to be working again.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Other programs seem to have problems with the patch too (although I cannot reproduce it here with TC). Just make a search for
KB2393802 crash

Maybe you can find out what is interfering with TC and the patch.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

At work we have many XP PCs getting a Blue Screen on Boot after applying KB2393802.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Just uninstall that patch, it is a paranoid hotfix that appears to be wreaking havoc with systems.

To even cause the issue it is trying to prevent someone has to have login credentials for your machine, or you yourself running a specially crafted "application".
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS11-011 wrote:The vulnerabilities could allow elevation of privilege if an attacker logged on locally and ran a specially crafted application. An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit these vulnerabilities. The vulnerabilities could not be exploited remotely or by anonymous users.
Note: there is an interesting password feature of WinXP (maybe Win2K as well, I'm not sure, but), if you make your logon with a blank password, it completely disables remote access (login) to the machine.
Windows XP Baseline Security Checklists wrote:@MS Technet

Use Account Passwords

To protect users who do not password-protect their accounts, Windows XP Professional accounts without passwords can be used only to log on at the physical computer console. By default, accounts with blank passwords can no longer be used to log on to the computer remotely over the network or for any other logon activity except at the main physical console logon screen. For example, you cannot use the secondary logon service (RunAs) to start a program as a local user with a blank password.

Assigning a password to a local account removes the restriction that prevents logging on over a network. It also permits that account to access any resources it is authorized to access, even over a network connection. As a result, it is better to leave a blank password assigned to an account rather than assigning a weak, easily guessed password. When assigning account passwords, make sure the password is at least nine characters long and that it includes at least one punctuation mark or non-printing ASCII character within the first seven characters.
IngenTing

Post by *IngenTing »

Work around found.

It took some time, but here is what I found.

I have located the problem to the following line in wincmd.ini
x64DisableRedirection=1
changing the value to 0 solves the crash problem.

This is also necessary after installation of servicepack1
which, I think, have KB2393802 and most other existing updates incorporated. (Tested on my laptop).

A simple test was just to open a pdf-file from TC.
1~ crash
0 ~no crash
Heinz23

Post by *Heinz23 »

This looks like an explaination:
symantec com /connect /forums /pgp-wde-blue-screen-after-kb2393802

see the post of bgillson of 15.Feb.2011

Do you use an Intel graphics IngenTing ?

Hope it helps.
IngenTing

Post by *IngenTing »

Dont think graphics has anything to do with problem.

Laptop nvidia 9650m Gt
Desktop ATI 5700

I think it has something to do with TC calling programs external to itself to open or handle files.

Example: calling the default pdf reader to open a pdf file.