Selection may disappear

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Octagon

Selection may disappear

Post by *Octagon »

Select some files in a TC panel. Switch to another application and come back to TC. Sometimes all selections are gone, but sometimes they are preserved. Of couse, I guess the correct behavior is to keep the selections.

I cannot find the way to reliably duplicate that. Sometimes tha selection disappears immediately. Sometmes I have to use mouse, ALT-TAB, and mouse clicks for a while. Sometimes I just need to stay for some time in another app, like in IE9 just typing this, and I hear a sound and that means the selection is gone from TC for sure.

Windows 7 32 bit.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Octagon,
Some property of some file in the panel with the selected files changed, so the list was refreshed, and the selection deselected.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Octagon

Post by *Octagon »

Are you sure it is the best possible behavior? I understand that Windows does its own stuff all the time, so something may be changed even though I do not see how, but is there any reason to intentionally augment the damage?

What if some background process modifies "some property of some file" while the focus is still in the TotalCommander panel? If the selection is deselected, this makes the selection feature unusable. If the selection is kept this time, then the TC behavior is inconsistent.

I guess the selection should be "a list of selected file names, case insensitive" and be persistent, even if a file is deleted and recreated while I work with the panel.

Still looks more like a bug that a suggestion to me.
foxidrive

Post by *foxidrive »

Hacker wrote:Octagon,
Some property of some file in the panel with the selected files changed, so the list was refreshed, and the selection deselected.
I can confirm the bug and the above is not the case. It might be that other files in the source folder were updated (torrent folder).

I tag/highlight a few folders and a file, ALT-TAB away to check a text list and ALT-TAB back and the highlights are gone.

The bug is not reproducible every time.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed TC does this because the files were somehow changed, so the selection may no longer reflect what the user intented. For example, he may have selected all .doc files, but some more were added. However, you should be able to restore the selection with the "/" key on the numeric keypad.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
charonme

Post by *charonme »

The / doesn't often work properly and even if it did, it would still be very annoying in some cases to have to press / every time you switch between applications back to TC.

It would be very useful to have a setting that would disable this behavior, because it's often the case with some users that their selection always reflects what they intended even when some changes are made to the selected files.

However this often happens even though the selected files haven't changed at all.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

TOTALCMD.chm, section 4.b wrote:[Configuration]
Noreread=AB\
Do not reread these drives; \ stands for 'Network Neighborhood', / for file system plugins, and a colon : for virtual folders like the desktop.
Try to add this parameter with your drive letters into your wincmd.ini. You may simply add all letters.

Note that you will need to use F2/Ctrl+R to refresh panel contents.
charonme

Post by *charonme »

it's not really a fix, because TC should be able to reread the folders without deselecting all the selected files, but thanks, it helped a bit