BarLimitLines: invisible lines can be reached from keyboard

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

BarLimitLines: invisible lines can be reached from keyboard

Post by *Flint »

1. Add BarLimitLines=1 key to the [ButtonBar] section of wincmd.ini and restart TC.
2. Add new buttons or resize TC window so that several buttons did not fit the first line and became invisible.
3. Press Alt+Shift+F11, then Left.
4. Cursor is now set on the last button which is invisible. Only the tooltip for the button is shown (without the button itself); it is possible to navigate using e.g. Left/Right keys through the whole buttonbar contents, both visible and invisible buttons, open context menu, run them, etc.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or feature, but this looks quite bizarre. I can see two possible solutions:
a) forbid navigating the hidden buttons (as if they were not there at all); or
b) when cursor jumps to the invisible line, scroll the whole buttonbar contents so that the invisible line became visible and could be navigated.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The main reason why I added Alt+Shift+F11 was that I use an "always on top" window during CD burning which shows me a Webcam picture of the burn process. This window partially hides the TC window and button bar. You can now still navigate through the buttons by their tooltips even when the buttons are invisible. In my opinion, you have quite a similar problem here with invisible buttons becoming accessible...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author)
Well, some third-party topmost window covering TC buttonbar and TC itself covering its own buttonbar are quite different things IMHO. While the former case is outsude of TC's jurisdiction, in the latter one it's exactly TC who is to be blamed…
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Flint wrote:... in the latter one it's exactly TC who is to be blamed…
only if you consider it a bug i would consider it a feature that the buttons are reachable with the keyboard even if they are not visable :!:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:i would consider it a feature that the buttons are reachable with the keyboard even if they are not visable
I would consider it a feature too, if they were accessible in normal way, and not as some invisible ghosts from the other side of the Universe.

Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

I consider accessing them by keyboard a normal way...
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Sir_SiLvA
I won't argue with you. It's my personal opinion that the current implementation is strange and inadequate, if other users think otherwise it's their right.

I just need to hear a word from Ghisler: is it a bug or a feature? Will it
a) remain as it is, or
b) be removed later, or
c) be improved to more intuitive behaviour?