no write permission to sd card

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ChristianK

no write permission to sd card

Post by *ChristianK »

first of all a very big thank you for tc. I'm using tc for windows for a long time (starting with floppy disk version) and are quite content with it.

Now I'm new to Android/Linux operating systems and problems start.

I use a noname Tablet ("N90" manufactured in China) with external 32GB SD-Card. TC 1.0 rc5 installed properly, even FTP connection working at once with filecilla FTP-Server on Windows 7.

But then I failed copying files to the external SD-Card.
TC shows two SD-Cards 1) internal as /mnt/sdcard and 2) external as /mnt/external_sd/
I can browse both with TC, but not delete and write at external card.
Properties show following rights at the external card: d---rwxr-x
When I try to change the rights I get a massage like "write failed EPIPE (broken pipe)" for a couple of seconds.

When I use the original Explorer of the Tablet, there is no problem to delete files. Same using USB-cable and Windows Explorer (Win 7).
How can I use TC Android to write to the sd card?

May be it's a little of topic here, but just another problem with filling the sd card. I use TC 7.56a under windows 7 and the MediaAudio2\wpdplug.wfx Plugin. No problem to connect to the tablet with USB cable. When copying a new folder from windows to android, tc (windows) shows on the tablet not the copied directory but only one file with the name of the folder, but with windows explorer the correct copied folder is shown. With windows explorer and on the tablet itself with android explorer I can navigate into this folder, with tc (windows) not.
When using folder sync function of tc (sync windows folder with tablet folder), it sometimes shows errors, that file could not be written for a single file or for all files of a directory. Somtimes the second try is successful.

Despite this little problems tc is a great help in daily work. I hope, the same routine will come up with Android some days ;-)

Christian K
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Is your tablet rooted? Some tablets mount the external SD-card in read only mode, and you can only write to it if you root the device.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ChristianK

Post by *ChristianK »

no, it's not rooted.

But within the installation of tc it is granted writing access to sd card. Perhaps it is only the internal sc card adressed by this.
Nevertheless i will try to get information about to root the tablet.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If it's not rooted, it means that TC tries to copy the files with the Java functions, which fails. The Java functions usually only fail if the target is read only.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com