Sugestions: Directory compare and synchronize

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately there is a bug in Android which prevents programs from copying the file timestamp. Therefore a sync function would never work because the files would never get the same timestamp.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Aurelien

Post by *Aurelien »

Ok, i understand.

Nevertheless, a simple sync tool (file exists or not) would be great, with directory recursion.

It would solve my problem at a 99% rate :wink:
Aurelien

Post by *Aurelien »

Aurelien wrote:Ok, i understand.

Nevertheless, a simple sync tool (file exists or not) would be great, with directory recursion.

It would solve my problem at a 99% rate :wink:
On my Acer Liquid E2, i have a drive letter and can use TotalCommander directly under Windows (android 4.2, and with nearly no Acer additions except added applications).

But on the Nexus 9 (android 5.1.1, and Google device), the mass storage connection way doesn't exist anymore (only MTP OR PTP), so directory sync is not easy at all, as i have too many files and too many directories (and subdirectories) to manage by hand.
Roni72

Post by *Roni72 »

Dear Christian,

I agree with Aurelien: I also suffer about the kitkat's lack of mass storage mode, the timestamp bug, and the weaknesses of MTP. Now I use TC LAN plugin, because it's far the best solution now for synchronizing via WiFi.

A few months ago I bought a Samsung S4 mini phone, but I not satisfied with it at all. It's funny (or sad), but I must bought a second phone, an old Samsung Ace, to use it as a "pocket office", because the UMS mode and the directory synch yet works on it as well.

If You can, please upgrade the TC android version with a simplified synch function. I think it would be a big advance such a new function, which can mirroring a "master" directory located on the LAN, to the phone - because the phone is much rather for "viewing" than "editing" files, many of users will be happy with this feature.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Currently this is only possible when you root your phone - with root rights, it's possible to actually copy the timestamp. Then you can use the normal copy function (where you choose to overwrite only older files) in both directions to synchronize. You cannot do this without root because the files on the source and target side will never get the same timestamps.
Roni72

Post by *Roni72 »

Oh, yes: thanks for "lackogyerek" now I using a rooted and deodexed custom ROM, and (of course) the new phone became warranty void :-I Unfortunately there is no other way to make a relative good working tool from a toy developed for the stupids. (((But I think this works in a reverse way: the gigant developers purposely pull the users to the stupidity.)))

I think no less, than TC is a really "jailbreaker" application: who not using it under Windows, that have no chance to understand the logic of computing.

So the responsibility is Yours ;-)
peterb

Post by *peterb »

Try DiffTool:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.difftool

It can not overcome the Android issue mentioned by Ghisler, but at least may be a solution for you.
Roni72

Post by *Roni72 »

Thanks, but this app can't access to a folder located on the LAN :-/
It's only a TC's feature.
Aurelien

Post by *Aurelien »

Christian, it would be great even with no timestamp check (i don't know : is root still required to achieve this ?)

The only thing i need is directories comparisons by filenames, like having "ignore date" and "subdirectories" checked in TC for windows.

The six "display" buttons would be useful too.

I don't want to root my tablet : if i do so, i won't be able to get OTA updates, as Google checks the tablet system content (as root adds SuperUser app, or equivalent).
Androiduser

Post by *Androiduser »

Scoulder wrote:For synchronization purposes there already are other apps but there's no usable app that allows a decent file compare. So that would be a nice plus for TC Android.

+1 for a file compare feature
+2
Roni72

Post by *Roni72 »

Hi Christian,

my colleague bought a "noname" chinese phone, called "uleFone Be Touch 2".
It's scandalous that while the Samsung S4 mini and all(!) newer Samsung
phones (and I think other "big" names such LG, HTC, Sony etc. too) are not
supports UMS and writing to the external SD, this lousy chinese phone can
_everything_ without any root - and under Lollipop.

I think the mass phone manufacturers more and more going to the way
that set by the Apple: against the user's creativity, and pay again and again
for everything.

Because this anomaly, I think, that is a wrong way when the development
strategy starts from the "big" names weaknesses, instead of real needs by
common sense.

Please think all again about a synchronising, at least a "smart mirroring"
capability of the TC's Android version: it's really a necessary feature for
the serious users.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The reasons why I didn't add it were:
1. The Android bug which prevents programs from copying the file timestamps, making a comparison by date pointless.

2. The limited screen size, making a side by side comparison unfeasible.
Aurelien

Post by *Aurelien »

Aurelien

Post by *Aurelien »

I finally installed a ftp server app on my Nexus 9, and used TC for Windows to connect to my tablet.

It perfectly suits my needs, as i don't particularly need file timestamps...

The tablet is connected via wifi and seen on the network via it's ip+port
It's also possible to directly connect via usb, but it's a bit more complicated (adb commands).

The app is named "Ftp server" by The Olive Tree, but there are other apps as well.
tag

Post by *tag »

If you want timestamps and your tablet is rooted, have a look at Samba Filesharing. This could work. Unfortunately it is not available in play store anymore like mentioned in the timestamp FAQ on xda, but can take the dev version which is attached to the Samba Filesharing Thread.

If you want to have correct timestamps without root, you need save on any extrnal Server like Samba. Any directly attached file system managed by Android will fail on a current Android OS.