Bizarre connection problem with LAN plugin

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

command dis

Bizarre connection problem with LAN plugin

Post by *command dis »

I have this extremely strange problem with the LAN plugin for Total Commander on Android.

My setup is:

- Debian server running samba (where the shares are stored)
- Windows 7 Pro laptop
- Android 4.4.4 device
- Android 6.0.1 device

The issue occurring is that, whenever the laptop is off, accessing the Debian server shares from the Android devices is either extremely slow (like, up to a minute just loading a directory) or just doesn't work at all (usually what happens). Turn the laptop on, they work normally again.

This only seems to affect Total Commander, specifically. I can use a different app with LAN capabilities (ES File Explorer, X-plore, etc.) and they work just fine. All other network clients on other operating systems work just fine. I can provide screenshots of error messages if needed.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bizarre connection problem with LAN plugin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sounds like a problem with name resolution: SMB uses so-called SMB broadcasts to get the IP address for a specific name. The fastest PC on the local network usually acts as the master browser which does the name resolution.

Try setting the server to a fixed IP address (if you use DHCP, you can usually resere an address in the router) and then use that IP address to access the debian server.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
command dis

Post by *command dis »

Try setting the server to a fixed IP address (if you use DHCP, you can usually resere an address in the router) and then use that IP address to access the debian server.
That is actually how it's configured. The Samba server has a static IP. The shares in the LAN plugin are configured to point the server by IP, not by name.

Is there a different samba configuration I could be using on the server for interfaces?

I've tried:

Code: Select all

interfaces = 127.0.0.1/8
interfaces = 127.0.0.1/24
interfaces = 127.0.0.1/34
interfaces = eth0
It exhibits the same behaviour with any of the settings.
command dis

Post by *command dis »

Agh... I figured it out. For some reason, I have a share on the windows laptop, which is mounted on the Debian PC. The share path on the Debian PC is also configured as a samba share. I can't remember why I set it up this way :P

If I dismount the share on the Debian PC before powering down the laptop, TC can access it with the laptop off.