Can't get TC to launch a file after Oct 17 update

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Randy31416

Can't get TC to launch a file after Oct 17 update

Post by *Randy31416 »

Before the Oct 17 update, I was able to launch Total Commander with the name of a file as a parameter, and TC would open the program associated with that file type and give that program the file as a parameter. For example, I could launch TC with the name of a .gpx file and up would pop my favorite gpx file viewer. After the update, TC does not launch any program but just shows me the root directory of my phone (it does not even show me the directory of the file given to it as a parameter). (I use Tasker to do the launch of TC and give it the file as a parameter.) How do I get the old behavior back?

Tasker also was recently updated, but I am reasonably certain that things worked fine and only stopped working after the TC update. It stopped working the morning after the TC update for sure.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't get TC to launch a file after Oct 17 update

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

How exactly do you pass the name to TC from Tasker? I have tasker installed too, so I would like to test your problem.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Randy31416

Re: Can't get TC to launch a file after Oct 17 update

Post by *Randy31416 »

Sorry for the delay. I use the Tasker "Launch App" action. In its App field I pointi at Total Commander app. and in its Data field I specify the file I am trying to open (something like "/storage/059D-80A4/Track/2018-10-01.gpx" but without the quotes). This used to work, as I said, but does not now.

Since posting the question, though, I've found an alternative way to accomplish what I want (actually a better way) to open the app associated with the file giving the app the file as its parameter. This better way uses the Tasker "Send Intent" action specifying "android.intent.action.VIEW" in the Action field, "application/gpx" in the Mime Type field, and the file name (as above) in the Data field.