Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

TC4A and Blackberry QNX+Android input language switch issue

Post by *DrShark »

2ghisler(Author)
Last year, we discussed by email a possible solution for an issue that exists on BlackBerry devices with QNX+Android (at least on ones with hardware keyboard, like Q10): in Android apps like TC it's only possible to change input language using a BlackBerry dialog called by Alt+Enter hotkey, and that hotkey only works in multiline input fields (like "Parameters" field of button configuration dialog, or in TC Editor.)

We didn't find a good solution then, but now I'd like to suggest a new possible solutions:
1) is it possible to have a very small form with very small multiline input (so it's possible to put cursor there) on top of all TC windows and popups? It will be possible to use that always-on-top form to change input language for any active TC window, including file panels (for QuickSearch);
2) if not, how about adding a very small multiline input control to each form with text input fields but without at least one multi line?
3) or maybe it's possible to change just one single line control to multi line in each window or dialog (to avoid replacing all existing single line controls)?

Of course, for 1) and 2), there is no need for such on-top form or controls with small multiline on normal Android devices, so it may be disabled by default (at least on not-BlackBerry devices).

_

Alternative solutions to make it possible to change input language in Android applications on Blackberry QNX devices in single line input fields are welcome here.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC4A and Blackberry QNX+Android input language switch issue

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Does it have to be in every popup (dialog)? Does the language revert to the default if for example you change it in the button configuration dialog, close the dialog, and then open (for example) the new folder dialog? The problem with multi-line edit controls is that they handle the ENTER button in virtual (or physical) keyboards to add a new line, instead of starting the operation or jumping to the next control.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC4A and Blackberry QNX+Android input language switch issue

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-03-20, 08:43 UTCDoes the language revert to the default if for example you change it in the button configuration dialog, close the dialog, and then open (for example) the new folder dialog?
No. I mean, if I change an input language to English in "Parameters" of button configuration, everywhere in TC input language will be English. If I will go again in "Parameters" and change there language to another one, then it will be used then everywhere in TC as an input language.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-03-20, 08:43 UTC Does it have to be in every popup (dialog)?
Yes, it'd be good, so there would be no need leave the dialog and to open another one just to change input language.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-03-20, 08:43 UTCThe problem with multi-line edit controls is that they handle the ENTER button in virtual (or physical) keyboards to add a new line, instead of starting the operation or jumping to the next control.
I know it's a problem. In some cases new line and everything after may probably just be ignored, but in other fields the possibility to enter in a new line some text that will be silently ignored by TC will just confuse users. I don't know a perfect way to solve this (all ideas I have now are in my previous post.)
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708