HDD folder does not show files but I can still transfer files

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Deflect08

HDD folder does not show files but I can still transfer files

Post by *Deflect08 »

Ran into this problem today. While using Total Commander I can still copy/move files from my android into a certain folder on my HDD but the problem is I can't see/delete files in that HDD folder in Total Commander. I have tried a few other apps just to see if I could see the files in the folder but the apps either stop working or also cannot see the files. However all other folders with other files are fully visible. I plugged my HDD into my TV to see if the one folder is corrupt or not but no, every file shows up and forwarding through a few random ones even the most recently transferred, everything works fine.

Why are the files in that one folder not visible?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HDD folder does not show files but I can still transfer files

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sounds like some kind of data corruption. If you can, plug the device in a Windows PC and run scandisk via "Properties" dialog. But before you do this, make sure to copy the files to a safe location on another disk.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Deflect08

Post by *Deflect08 »

I'm currently without any PC. Any way I can do this on mobile?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you can copy or move files on your TV, try copying/moving the files from the problematic folder elsewhere. Then verify that they are intact, and delete the problem folder. Then reconnect the HDD to Total Commander, create a new folder with a slightly different name, and move the files back.
Deflect08

Post by *Deflect08 »

Just wanted to bump with an update. I'm still having the same problem so I decided to try and delete the folder in question through total commander. Well it turns out that it wont let me delete the folder it just says it's unable to delete and when I look up the properties it says there's 0 space being taken up. The folder has about 500gb of files. Again all those files will show up and play perfectly fine when my external is plugged directly into my tv. I have been slowly watching random files in the folder most recent being last night and there's absolutely no problems with playing.

Files are still able to be transferred into the folder without a problem and will play on my tv they just will not show up through total commander. All I am using is the latest version of the total commander app with the most recent version of paragon root mounter. Anyone have any idea how to either be able to browse/delete files in the folder or delete altogether? Is it a permissions issue?
sweetbox

Post by *sweetbox »

Will it be the OTG cable problem?
Deflect08

Post by *Deflect08 »

I don't think so
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you have anything in the ignore list (Total Commander main menu - Configure)? TC will not show files in the ignore list, and fail to delete folders containing such hidden files. It's also possible that there are files starting with a dot - there is a separate option to hide these.
Deflect08

Post by *Deflect08 »

Nothing at all on my ignore list. Still having the same problem and have tried to search all over how to fix it. Seems there is no solution
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

They may also be marked as hidden or system - you can enable them in Configuration - Options - Display. Finally, if the harddisk is formatted with NTFS, it may be a permission problem (no read rights for directory).
Deflect08

Post by *Deflect08 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-10-22, 14:56 UTCFinally, if the harddisk is formatted with NTFS, it may be a permission problem (no read rights for directory).
This may be the case. Any way to fix this issue through my mobile phone?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, Alt+Enter, permissions, grant Read+Write rights to user "Everyone". It doesn't mean everyone on the world, just everyone who has an account on the PC.
Deflect08

Post by *Deflect08 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-10-24, 08:46 UTC Yes, Alt+Enter, permissions, grant Read+Write rights to user "Everyone". It doesn't mean everyone on the world, just everyone who has an account on the PC.
There's no alt+enter on mobile. I only have an android phone to do all this on.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, sorry - NTFS permissions are usually ignored on Android.
Deflect08

Post by *Deflect08 »

Also the problem started happening when I kept transfering the same file to my external via Total Commander but used a similar app to rename the file after transfering. I have to use a different app to rename files on the external since renaming them on my device has character limits. If I rename a file using TC the file will either disappear or no longer work. So I transfered the same file about 3-4 times from my android using TC, kept deleting and renaming through the other app and this is how the folder that I am having issues with started to not be accessible