Media Player in 2.91: order of MP3 files when playing a folder

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

maslovsk

Media Player in 2.91: order of MP3 files when playing a folder

Post by *maslovsk »

Dear experts,
I face the following issue when trying to play the audio book: when a folder is selected for playing in the background, the Media Player orders the files in a strange order: after the file with name and tag 009 (shown as 9. in the player) goes 10, than 100-109, than 11, 110-119, followed by 12, 120-129, and so on.
Screen shot Image: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10Obrb0_sy-NUsOhF4UFplD0fhgIvneos
We are making an audio book for humanitarian (non-profit) agencies and want to disseminate it among persons who are not advanced users.
The work-around is to open the containing folder, select all files and press "Play in the background". However, these extra steps are not expected from the average user. I have spent a lot of time taming the tags and file names for this book, but the result is still the same for the folder to be played: the files are ordered 10, 100, 101 etc.
The tags in the Track number field are 001, 002..., they were done by MetaTogger 6.0
Some forums report that some old devices may be playing the files in the order as copied by the computer.
I am still to test the file order on some other players, but wanted to flag the issue and to see whether there is a quick way to tame the file order at the folder level. I don't expect a listener to debug the file order in a long audio book, so I would appreciate a hint on a solution.
The connected posts explain the order as per tags, but this seems to be not my case.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Total Commander for Android 2.91, Russian version, Samsung A50, Android 9
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Media Player in 2.91: order of MP3 files when playing a folder

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Do these files contain any track numbers inside the ID3 tags? Total Commander for Android should normally sort by tag numbers.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2maslovsk
In many cases filenames and metatags are sorted as text strings rather than numbers, so you should use leading zeroes to keep constant number of digits in both filenames and mp3 tags. That way you can almost always provide proper sort order.
In your case it should be 3 digits: 001, 002… 009, 010, 011… 020, 021… 099, 100, 101, etc.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Track numbers inside mp3 tags are numbers, not strings, so they are always sorted correctly if the tags themselves are correct.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2ghisler(Author)
I didn't mean any specific player or your first comment here, I was just noting more general issue.
We are talking about audiobooks, which may have NO specific titles for their parts. Many people don't create subfolders, and some players use only one tag for sorting, so I mean using numbers in track titles rather than track numbers themself, for example: "Book 001 Vol 1 Chapter 03".
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
matixx
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *matixx »

Understand you but cant agree.
For eBooks it will be ok, but for mp3 its oberriding the traditional dort order by Tracknumber.
In your case, if the tracknames does Not have numbers then it will be Not a Problem, but of so then WE have a destroying sort order for All albums.

Suggestion: a eBook-Mode that can be activated.