No write permissions on Moto E5 Android 8.0

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

chickendeodexed

No write permissions on Moto E5 Android 8.0

Post by *chickendeodexed »

I have this device rooted via Magisk 19.3 and i had to dance around a bit to get it to rooted so i want the device to stay in current state.

Total Commander current version on Playstore fails to do any write operations on external sd card. When i chose to perform same write operations to same external sd card using ZArchiver and XPlore, first i get a small popup for granting permissions after which those two did the tasks. There is no such popup when i use Total Commander and i get a su timeout error. That small popup is the second popup, first one is storage permission which all 3 apps asked and i gave them.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No write permissions on Moto E5 Android 8.0

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC tries to use the storage access framework ("virtual folders") to write to external SD cards, not root functions.

Can you try to access the card directly via virtual folder via "Add custom location"?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
chickendeodexed

Re: No write permissions on Moto E5 Android 8.0

Post by *chickendeodexed »

You mean User-defined location. I tried just now. So I think it works now. Operations previously impossible to do can now be done. But if I try to access it from /storage/card s/n to do the same write operations then same cannot be done, I guess it must be a SAF thing. Thx for the help.