Help with TC Media player please

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

swayzak

Help with TC Media player please

Post by *swayzak »

Hello

Unfortunately my employer has cut off access to my 2 TB external USB harddrive from my work PC (containing 1 TB music library), for security reasons.

I would like to continue streaming this library from my Samsung S9+ phone (and back into PC via headphone jack).

I have TotalCommander app installed on my S9+ (as I have used this for years now to transfer music onto this work USB drive, as writing was not permitted via work OS, again due to security).

Is it possible to use TC Media player to do this, if so how (I've never used TC player before, and couldn't find a button to launch it) ?

Also would it be possible for TC Player to scan the whole 1 GB library, and store this info so I can shuffle play from this library (and not have to rescan every time I disconnect / reconnect phone to USB drive) ?

TC Player appears in the Lock Screen, but when I unlock the phone it disappears & I have to relock the phone to get it to appear again, which is weird. Is there something I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks
Last edited by swayzak on 2021-02-24, 08:51 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with TC Media player please

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It depends on how the drive appears in Total Commander: If you can access it as a normal drive in the form /storage/1234-5678, or a virtual folder like ///_Drivename then it should be possible to play directly. If you have to use a plugin, then it will not work directly.

The player should still be accessible via a notification. If not, add a button to the TC toolbar:
Function type: Internal command
Command: Click on >> and pick command nr 137, TC media player.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
swayzak

Post by *swayzak »

Thanks

I have "right clicked" the 1 TB Music folder (in TC), and selected "Play (background) - TC Player is now searching the whole collection.

Once this is completed and playing, how do I change play order e.g. shuffle play etc ?
swayzak

Post by *swayzak »

OK, it stopped around the letter M (around half way through the collection) - is there an upper limit of total files for this search ?

I've looked in the app and can't find an obvious option for shuffle playing ...
swayzak

Post by *swayzak »

Re-scanned and now has got to "Z" !

Tried to save the (huge) playlist (renamed to more user friendly name), and bottom of screen gone black. Have now tried to get back into TC main window and screen is white (with TotalCmd (Queue) at top of screen ..).
swayzak

Post by *swayzak »

I think this playlist is too big for TC to save - it keeps crashing (and no playlist is created) ..
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Instead of long clicking on the folder and choosing "Play (background)", you can instead just select the tracks/subfolders you want to play, and then choose "Play (background)" just for them.
swayzak

Post by *swayzak »

Thanks

Is there an upper limit for playlist size ?

This collection is 1TB...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The limit is the available memory to each app - Android only gives an app 256MB of space, on older devices it's even less. In TC itself there is no limit.