Tracks Don't Stay Removed in TC Media Player

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Phred

Tracks Don't Stay Removed in TC Media Player

Post by *Phred »

Maybe I'm using TC/Android's media player in some unfashionable way - I don't compile playlists and invoke them, I think - I just play music tracks that I add to the player - but in the media player when I have some tracks stacked, long-pressing to remove them, then returning to TC/A, then returning to the player shows the 'removed' tracks as though they were never removed.

Do I have a misunderstanding of how the player should work? I add tracks to the player, see them in the player, removed them, return to TC, drop into the player again, and there they are.
It seems contradictory.

I have built up the 'media bar' using the variety of crotchet symbols (beamed or otherwise), adding selected tracks via the 'beamed-dual-crotchet+' symbol on a button, then enter the player with the beamed-dual-crotchet button. I remove tracks via the long-press context menu. Somehow, I think this doesn't matter.

Is there some other way of cleaning up the list, making the 'remove' work?

tags: music note
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tracks Don't Stay Removed in TC Media Player

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I cannot reproduce that - can you give me step by step instructions of what you did?
For example, here is what I tried:
1. I opened the player either via long tapping on the Total Commander icon in the launcher, or via a button in TC itself.
2. Removed some tracks via context menu
3. Tapped on "Back" button to return to TC
4. Re-opened the player as in step 1
-> the removed tracks were still gone.

I ask because there are many ways to get to the player, e.g. via notification area, by playing a new track etc. Maybe I missed something?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Phred

Post by *Phred »

These steps are much the same as my means, Author Ghisler. I used these steps of yours as well, just in case. The results were the same as I have described.
No matter how I add/enter/remove/return/enter, a long-press for Remove all, followed by the system Back arrowhead, returning to TC's media player via either the musical crotchet or a l/press from the home-screen launcher, I see the same tracks present. I have seen only one track remain, but usually they're the same last set 'removed'. I have never seen an empty list.
I'm compiling screenshots in sequence.
Environment factors are Nokia 8, Android 10, Microsoft's excellent Launcher. All updates, system and apps, have been acquired. 20% storage space remains available.
I do not use 'Always' for any choice. e.g. 'Play in foreground', preferring 'Just once'. I don't know how to reverse any 'permanent' choice.
I'm surprised other users haven't jumped in, but it's consistent here.
Regards, PhredE
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

a long-press for Remove all
I think that's the problem: If you use "remove all", the player restores the old (backup) playlist when reactivated because there was no active playlist. Have you tried to remove only some of the tracks? Does it save the playlist then?
Phred

Post by *Phred »

Well, I believe we have found the problem, but it does seem puzzling.

When I used 'long-press Remove all' I've been expecting all to be removed - so that I can assemble another group, another list, anew.

I'm perplexed that a backup is restored - against my wishes. If I want anything cleared, I want it cleared - without any restoration of an implicit backup.
I must be missing something that no-one else is missing. Clear a list and expect it to be gone.
There must be a subtlety somewhere. Can you help, Author Ghisler?

Addendum:
(a) If I 'Remove all', return to TC via the system back button (3), add a track, and enter the player (4), there can be one track from the previous collection at the top followed by the new addition/s. This behaviour is NOT consistent, as far as my attempts go.
(b) I HAVE found that if I 'Remove all', EXIT the media player via the system Home button, and then open the player from an icon on an Android (Microsoft Launcher) home page with a long-press, the player IS EMPTY. I can then return to TC via the red X button or the system back button, and add new tracks without corruption.
(c) Should I dare to peek into the player after returning to TC (b), the former tracks appear!
This is why I cited elsewhere on this board helpful 'flashes' of information stating what action has just been achieved. We wouldn't have to peek to check rather than assume success. The 'trust but verify' thing.
Regards, PhredE
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, people complained that the player lost their playlist, so I added this backup strategy - but apparently didn't consider cases where people willingly cleared the list. I will have to to save the list more often.
Phred

Post by *Phred »

Ah, a clash of 'use cases' we have then. Maybe I'm fixated on an explicit 'Removal all' behaviour. I'm trying to think of when a restored playlist would be desirable but I'm having trouble; we get focus-blinkered. Perhaps a fork in the strategy is more suitable.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-06-14, 07:10 UTC -snip-
Have you tried to remove only some of the tracks? Does it save the playlist then?
But I didn't answer your question [above] about removing some tracks ('Remove selected'): the remaining playlist does get saved reliably, as expected. It must be the 'all' that invokes the restoration.
Regards, PhredE
Phred

Post by *Phred »

An update to version 3.21..3.23 includes bugfixes that seem to have incorporated a change to what I recorded here as an anomaly.
A context/long-press menu pop-up and a choosing of 'Remove all' now clears the playlist completely. I find this particularly pleasing. I hope those who lose their playlists somehow don't mind this more likely expected behaviour.
Many thanks.
Regards, PhredE
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I have fixed that in 3.23! You can find the entire changelog here:
https://www.ghisler.com/android.htm#download
Please click on "Release history" on the right.