Copy file properties changes date and time of source file

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

to_rob2

Copy file properties changes date and time of source file

Post by *to_rob2 »

I've discovered a weird situation today with TC 8.01 (32 bit, Windows XP).

I use TC to synchronize files with an FTP server. I opened a FTP connection, selected some files to be transfered to the server, clicked on "Copy file properties <- (right to left) Ctrl+Alt+R" in the properties menu after a right click, selected only "Timestamp" and clicked on OK. Then I started the synchronization.

Now the source files show an updated date and time setting. Day, month, year, hours and minutes of all selected files show the date and time when I run the synchronization. Seconds is always set to zero. The same date and time is set on the destination file on the FTP server. This doesn't happen when the destination is a folder on a local drive.

What's even weirder, the properties menu (shown after a right click) has no "Copy file properties <- (right to left) Ctrl+Alt+R" entry anymore! Instead, I've a new entry "Set local file date to remote date" which does what it says. I can't find a way to get the original entry back nor can I stop TC from changing the date and time of the source file. I restarted TC, but with no effect.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

This behavior is due to the fact, that most of the FTP servers do not allow to set or change the date/time of files.
This means, that the only way to make the date/time identically is to do it the other way round: set date/time of your local files to those of the remote files.
#5767 Personal license
to_rob2

Post by *to_rob2 »

I'll check the server. Something has changed in the past days and it seems that the MFMT command is no longer available.
to_rob2

Post by *to_rob2 »

OK, it's the servers fault. Don't know why, but it no longer announced MFMT to the FTP clients. Wish I would be informed by TC that in this case the date and time of the source files will be changed during sync.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC shows a help page the first time you use sync with ftp where this is explained.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com