"Compare by content" does not work - shows "U

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

perabr

"Compare by content" does not work - shows "U

Post by *perabr »

Hello!
I got the error message shown in the thread header when I try to compare two text files. I use Total commander 8.01 on a Windows 7 64bit installation. The error seems to occur both whether I start the 32bit or 64bit version of TC. However, if I start TC 8.01 (32bit of course) on a Win XP running inside a Virtual Box on the same computer, Compare by content works fine.

Edit: The subject is "Compare by content" does not work - shows "User abort" (string length is limited for the header).
Last edited by perabr on 2013-03-04, 10:41 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is a problem with VirtualBox: Sometimes when you switch away from VirtualBox while a certain key is pressed, and then return to it when the key is no longer pressed, VirtualBox still signals to programs that the key is pressed (but it's not). Apparently in your case it signals to TC that the Escape key is still pressed.

Solution: Press Escape and release it while in VirtualBox to clear the key flag.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I usually click Win, Alt, Ctrl, Shift in host Windows if I notice that some key combinations don't work or such strange things happen.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

I don't know. I've got a feeling that perabr was saying that it was working on guest system (WinXP) but not on host (Win7). Or have I misunderstood it?
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It can happen in both directions: If a key on the keyboard is pressed in the host and released in the guest, or vice versa, the keyboard state may be wrong if they aren't properly synchronized by VirtualBox.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com