TC 8.01 x64 - using volume mount points while moving files

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Vulpix

TC 8.01 x64 - using volume mount points while moving files

Post by *Vulpix »

If you use volume mount points (windows, NTFS, instead of a drive letter you mount it to an empty folder like you would do in unix/linux) and start moving files to (or from) the physical volume where the mount point is (e.g. moving files from C:\temp to c:\drive_d where drive_d is a mount point for a different physical drive) then:

- there will be no "overall progress" displayed in the main progressbar, it will remain at 0
- the total amount of files/objects transferred will appear as an integer count underneath the main progressbar

==

I assume this behavior exists thanks to the fact that moving files around on a volume is handled very quickly given the actual data is never moved, and the move never takes too long (making the overall progress bar unnecessary).

==

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or just the way the program is supposed to work; but as I have several volume mount points, it would be nice to see the overall progressbar (and thus get an estimated time of completion).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, TC has no chance to know that there is a volume mount point somewhere in the data. Therefore it assumes it can use a normal MoveFile, and only resorts to CopyFileEx when MoveFile fails.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Vulpix

Post by *Vulpix »

Thanks for the reply.

I assume it would be too much hassle to add something like an ini file parameter where I could add the volume mount point so TC would know?

It seems to be a very little-used feature, I guess, and adding it doesn't make much sense. In case you want to know why I even use such stuff - it's mainly because I have multiple drives in my PC but I only really use one, and thus the others get to spin down and save power. However, opening a "save as" dialogue or similar would always wake up all of the drives (and freeze the system for a few seconds) unnecessarily. Mounting the drive into an empty folder eliminates this issue and it looks very neat.

I love Total Commander and I'm not going to stop using it just because of that; but it'd be nice.

Thanks for creating such an epic piece of software :)