Error executing program! (29) when trying to open excel file

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bigoni

Post by *bigoni »

greetings to all TC users. recently I started getting same "29" error, not only when opening Office files, but also when launching video files (currently associated with BS.Player) and some other file types. it just started to occur with no apparent reason, since i've been using same TC version (8.0 x86) on same OS (Win7 x64) for over 6 months. i tried to reinstall both, TC and OS, didn't help.

Note: when opening files via right-click menu, it works just fine, as well as when opening through windows Explorer. TC x64 also works just fine. now, i would just switch permanently to x64 version, but there are no plugins (i use many of those), or i can't find them.

Note 2: have been using TC since day one on my first pc, and updating mostly to major versions (6.0, 7.0 and now 8.0), never used explorer, never had any problems with TC, so this is very strange. using any other file manager is no option (for now), also.

Note 3 (this is VERY interesting): when double-click on movie and instantly move cursor out from TC's window bounds, no error appears. i can upload video to demonstrate, too.

any other idea or suggestion what to do? tried your suggestions, no use.
thanks very much in advance,
bigoni
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Simple solution: Do not run TC with higher (admin) rights.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
bigoni

Post by *bigoni »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Simple solution: Do not run TC with higher (admin) rights.
thank you for reply. if by not runing with admin rights you mean uncheck "run this program as an administrator" in compatibility tab, i already did it, actually i never even checked it in a first place. well, i guess i will just have to learn to live with it. thanks, anyway.

all the best...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Error 29 means that Total Commander and Excel could not communicate with each other via DDE (dynamic data exchange). This can happen due to different user rights, or because the file association in the registry is wrong.
pondrejk

Post by *pondrejk »

Unfortunately this is still not working for me too, despite I have file associations properly set and "run this program as an administrator" unchecked.

This issue usually only happens 1st time of the day then retries work fine.

Thanks,
Peter
bigoni

Post by *bigoni »

i made that video after all, since i don't think i was understood. here is the link if you wish to watch (70sec.). 1st and 4th case are most interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgUxOH5SYhA
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

- Does it work if you use 8.01(8.5beta) instead of 8.0?

- Does it work with the x64 versions of TC?

- Does it work if you uncheck "TC-> Configuration -> Options.. -> Display: [x]Ole Comment from Explorer )OLE2"?

- Does it work if you temporarily disable "ESET smart security" on access scanner?

- Does it work if you disable UAC or set UAC to highest level?

Regards
Holger
bigoni

Post by *bigoni »

HolgerK wrote:- Does it work if you use 8.01(8.5beta) instead of 8.0?

- Does it work with the x64 versions of TC?

- Does it work if you uncheck "TC-> Configuration -> Options.. -> Display: [x]Ole Comment from Explorer )OLE2"?

- Does it work if you temporarily disable "ESET smart security" on access scanner?

- Does it work if you disable UAC or set UAC to highest level?

Regards
Holger
-8.01 as well as 8.5beta x32 aren't working
-x64 versions are OK, but i said it in one of previous posts, plugins for x64 are hard (impossible) to find
-seems like OLE2 option has no effect on this matter
-ESS as well
-same with UAC (it already has been turned off, btw, also changing it had no effect)

looks like my problem is unique, so unlikely it will be fixed. i'll just get used to work with TC with moving cursor outside of ListBox, like demonstrated in 4th case in video

but i really appreciate all your answers and attempts to help
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Maybe some problems with windows file associations or x86 ole subsystem (registry).
Explorer itself is x64, so no wonder TC x64 works as well as Explorer.

You can try to set up an TC - internal association if BSplayer supports standard command line parameters:

- "File -> Internal Association (Total Commander only)"
- [Add]
- Filetype:

Code: Select all

*.mkv
(OK)
- Action "Open" :

Code: Select all

<Path\BSPlayer.exe> "%1"
(OK)

Replace <Path\BSPlayer.exe> with the complete path to your installed BSPlayer.exe.
Instead of "*.mkv" it's also possible to define a file group like ">Movies" (via saved search).

Regards
Holger
pondrejk

Post by *pondrejk »

I personally have this issue with Office files, with XLS in particular, with the 64-bit version of Total Commander.

Thanks,
Peter
bigoni

Post by *bigoni »

@HolgerK
it's working! :) this method solves my problem, that's for sure. before i read your reply, i installed win7 x32 both professional and ultimate as virtual machines in VirtualBox, and same problem appeared in both systems, so my conclusion is that something is wrong with my software or even hardware configuration. driver maybe or something else, don't really know. nor care, at this moment. it still troubles me, though, how is it possible that everything worked flawlessly for over 6 months, and then suddenly problem appeared and even system reinstall didn't resolve it.

but thank you for help (and solution), once again.

all the best,
bigoni
pondrejk

Post by *pondrejk »

Holger,

I'm also testing your suggestion for *.xls files. I was not aware of internal associations for Total Commander.
So far it is working, but as the issue intermittent, I'm not sure if it works all the times.

Also, the issue was not really specific to Total Commander, as I have the issue even when opening an XLS from email attachment.

Anyway, will let you know if this solves the problem for TC.

Thanks,
Peter
pondrejk

Post by *pondrejk »

Holger,

It seems my issue also got solved by adding a TC Internal association for .xls.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Peter
henkbart

Post by *henkbart »

Hello,

It's not a TC problem only. Also the Explorer from Windows 7 gives an error so i think some updates from Windows caused this problem.

The solution from Holger works for me in TC.

Thanks

Henk
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Internal associations work because they do not use DDE (dynamic data exchange) to pass file names to an already running copy of Excel. Either something is wrong with the DDE configuration, or the caller (Explorer/TC etc) is not running with the same user rights as Excel.