Wrong file count in Synchronize dialog (8.52a & 8.52)

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Wrong file count in Synchronize dialog (8.52a & 8.52)

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

The Synchronize dialog (which appears when clicking on the "Synchronize..." button in the "Synchronize directories" window) shows the wrong number of files to be copied from left to right.

Have a look at the linked screenshot, which should illustrate the bug much better.

It seems to me that TC unintentionally counts the number of checkboxes with the green arrows set ("copy from left to right") instead of the actual number of files to be copied.

Also, the appearance of checkboxes on the directory lines is inconsistent. While directories with files solely on the left side have a checkbox, directories with files solely on the right side are missing such a checkbox.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Wrong file count in Synchronize dialog (8.52a & 8.52

Post by *Dalai »

elgonzo wrote:It seems to me that TC unintentionally counts the number of checkboxes with the green arrows set ("copy from left to right") instead of the actual number of files to be copied.
I don't know any specifics, but TC may count the directories as well if they're missing on the opposite side. And since a directory is only a file with some special attribute...

Well, perhaps it might be better to rephrase the text to "x objects" or "x files/dirs" or something like that.
Also, the appearance of checkboxes on the directory lines is inconsistent. While directories with files solely on the left side have a checkbox, directories with files solely on the right side are missing such a checkbox.
The directory already exists on the left side so there's no point in showing the arrow in this case. If you want to (un)select the whole directory you can still right-click on it and TC will select all files in that dir.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

TC simply calls both files and directories as files.
Usually I use objects in my tools for such cases.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Wrong file count in Synchronize dialog (8.52a & 8.52

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

Dalai wrote:
elgonzo wrote:It seems to me that TC unintentionally counts the number of checkboxes with the green arrows set ("copy from left to right") instead of the actual number of files to be copied.
I don't know any specifics, but TC may count the directories as well if they're missing on the opposite side. And since a directory is only a file with some special attribute...

Well, it is probably to rephrase the text to "x objects" or "x files/dirs" or something like that.
I agree, letting the text stating "x files/directories" or "x files, y directories" would be better.

In my case, after downloading 100-something project files i wanted to sync the updated project directory with a secondary working copy of the project using TC's synchronization feature. Usually i don't pay attention to those labels in the Synchronize dialog, but this time my eye caught the label stating that more than 200 files will be copied instead of just the 100-something i was expecting. Wait a minute... did my project directory or my second working copy have modifications i was unaware of? Well, the status bar of the synchronization window -- which i usually pay attention to -- did show the correct number of different and unique files, which puzzled me a bit. After scrolling through the list with the sync items to verify the situation i quickly figured that my worries were not coming true...
Dalai wrote:
elgonzo wrote:Also, the appearance of checkboxes on the directory lines is inconsistent. While directories with files solely on the left side have a checkbox, directories with files solely on the right side are missing such a checkbox.
The directory already exists on the left side so there's no point in showing the arrow in this case. If you want to (un)select the whole directory you can still right-click on it and TC will select all files in that dir.
You are right, that makes sense. Somehow i failed to realize this when i saw it yesterday. :)

Cheers!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Perhaps TC shouldn't count directories at all in this place.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Damel

Post by *Damel »

The best solution:
1. format C:
2. install TotalCmd
3. install Windows (optionally)