[8.52a x64] TC Freezes Deleting Files

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AlanC

[8.52a x64] TC Freezes Deleting Files

Post by *AlanC »

I frequently delete all "*.svn" files in copies I make of my subversion projects. So I begin by searching for them in the current tree, using Find Files. (^C + S)

Once they are found, I feed all the located directories to the listbox. (alt-L)

Then I select them and delete them. It now locks up after deleting some every time. I don't see a problem if I go back to 8.51b4 x64.

Windows 7 x64 Enterprise.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You need to wait longer. The problem is that it's not possible to delete files from multiple base dirs to recycle bin in one call. TC has to call the delete function multiple times, and Windows seems to create a new thread for each. This can take a lot of time to complete.

The alternative would be to delete the files with Shift+Del, bypassing the recycle bin.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AlanC

Waiting does not help

Post by *AlanC »

Hi Christian

There is something that changed between 8.51B4 and 8.52A.
Deleting 4827 files, 8.51B4 takes about 6 minutes but shows continuous activity, and completes. (I agree shift-del is what I should be doing.)

Reinstalled 8.52A. It stops into the deletions after about 40 seconds (561/4827).
There is NO ACTIVITY after that- nothing in the dialog box, no HDD LED activity. The cursor works. I waited 20 minutes. Nothing had happened in that time. The computer was performing no obvious task. I didn't touch the keyboard or mouse.

After the 20 minutes, I tried the Cancel, Pause, and Background buttons. They appear to operate, but the progress bar and "561/4827" does not change. Still no HDD LED activity. There are no other prompts visible.

I tried using the Task Manager to cancel. It reports it cannot cancel because "it is waiting on a response from you", but I can find no such dialog. I started killing off all windows in search of one.

But at 28:40 into this experiment the whole computer locked up TOTALLY! The cursor was even frozen. At 30:40 I finally powered the box off, and restarted. This experiment was run previously, except that since those times I did not wait so long, the system never totally froze up.

You should know, however, that I normally have to quickly exit TC and reload it after it completes deleting files like this. Otherwise, many times it will lock up the computer, too! I've just learned to do,this as a work-a-round. It's been that way for the past 2-3 versions I've been using. Hope this extra info helps.

(I've been developing software for 45+ years, am a LONG term TC user, and available to assist in figuring this out.)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not aware of any difference now which could cause this. I will make a source comparison of the two versions.
AlanC

Recycle bin VERY full

Post by *AlanC »

I checked further, and it seems to be affected by the recycle bin. As it turns out, I had 680K tiny files there! It took two hours for Windows to empty it, permanently deleting them.

Now, instead of locking up after a few hundred, it completes the deletion of all 4000+ files, in 2:45 instead of 6:00.

So even though some sort of problem exists, it probably low priority. Unless I put another 600K files in the recycle bin, I'm not even going to be able to reproduce the problem on this end. There is a difference in the two versions, but it's very subtle.

Thanks, Christian.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the extra tests!