Context menu does not show up

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sunny_lumberjack

Context menu does not show up

Post by *sunny_lumberjack »

Hi!

I know that here it is not allowed to report two bugs in one post, but I am experiencing two issues related to the same object—the context menu. I think, it makes sense if I merge them together. I am sorry for possible inconveniences.

Issue #1
TC (x64, 9.22, Windows 10) does not show the context menu in some directories directories. For example, I am not able to open the context menu here:
\\Desktop\
\\Documents\

While in these directories I have no issues with the context menu:
c:\Users\[user_name]\Desktop\
c:\Users\[user_name]\Documents\

Issue #2
Context menu in 64x version of TC is slow. Probably, this is related to that items in my context menu, which might slow down its opening. However, in Windows Explorer I never had any issues with the performance. Is it possible to speed it up somehow?

Thank you very much!
Aleksandr.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Context menu does not show up

Post by *Dalai »

sunny_lumberjack wrote: 2019-03-22, 13:18 UTCFor example, I am not able to open the context menu here:
\\Desktop\
\\Documents\
These are virtual directories (or rather folders), so the context menu can't be shown there.
Context menu in 64x version of TC is slow.
Is it slow to appear after the context progress bar is done? Or do you mean that you have to hold the right mouse button down for 1 second? Is it still slow when you use Shift+F10 to open the context menu?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

sunny_lumberjack wrote: 2019-03-22, 13:18 UTCFor example, I am not able to open the context menu here:
\\Desktop\
\\Documents\
It seems you are using Brief View in TC. Yes, in Brief View the context menu doesn't appear on RMB click on empty space when you're in \\Desktop\ or \\Documents\. However, it will show up if you'll try open context menu of \\Desktop\ or \\Documents\ in TC's current directory path (aka address bar.)

2Dalai
Above inconsistency looks like a bug.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
sunny_lumberjack

Yes, in Brief View the context menu doesn't appear on RMB click on empty space when you're in \\Desktop\ or \\Documents\. However, it will show up if you'll try open context menu of \\Desktop\ or \\Documents\ in TC's current directory path (aka address bar.)
Yes, I was using the file window (brief view) to open the context menu. Thank you for the clarification of TC behavior! Your suggested method works good for me.
Is it slow to appear after the context progress bar is done? Or do you mean that you have to hold the right mouse button down for 1 second? Is it still slow when you use Shift+F10 to open the context menu?
I takes around 1-2 seconds for my TC to create the context menu after this 1 second delay. I read somewhere that TC creates the console based on the registry entities and I suppose I should clean them to increase the performance. However, it would be nice if TC would try to optimize the context menu and removed unnecessary items. But it is not a bug already.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

DrShark wrote: 2019-03-22, 16:08 UTCYes, in Brief View the context menu doesn't appear on RMB click on empty space when you're in \\Desktop\ or \\Documents\.
For me it doesn't make a difference if I'm in Brief view or any other view. The context menu doesn't show when right-clicking on free space in a virtual folder - in brief view, long view or any other view. Am I missing something?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
sunny_lumberjack

For me it doesn't make a difference if I'm in Brief view or any other view. The context menu doesn't show when right-clicking on free space in a virtual folder - in brief view, long view or any other view. Am I missing something?
It does show when you right click on the current directory widget in a virtual folder. For me, it also doesn't look consistent.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Dalai wrote: 2019-03-22, 17:15 UTCFor me it doesn't make a difference if I'm in Brief view or any other view. The context menu doesn't show when right-clicking on free space in a virtual folder - in brief view, long view or any other view. Am I missing something?
After more checking I see interesting thing in my TC: in brief view I have an empty space after file list on \\Desktop\ in both left and right panels, but for full, thumbnails and comments views I can see empty space after filelist is only in right panel! That's why I thought empty space only exists in Brief view... Can you confirm this?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

DrShark wrote: 2019-03-22, 17:46 UTCCan you confirm this?
Can't confirm. In TC 9.22 x86 (and 8.52a for that matter) both sides behave exactly the same, in all views. Note that the remainder of the last line is not an empty space in thumbnails view. When you (right-)click there, the cursor is moved to the last item (left click) or the context menu for the selected item is shown (right click).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Dalai wrote: 2019-03-22, 18:56 UTCCan't confirm. In TC 9.22 x86 (and 8.52a for that matter) both sides behave exactly the same, in all views.
OK, since I can reproduce it even after TC restart, I just sent a screenshot to Christian Ghisler's support email. That issue is an offtopic in this thread, so if Christian Ghisler won't confirm it either, I'll make a separate bugreport.
sunny_lumberjack

Issue #2
Context menu in 64x version of TC is slow. Probably, this is related to that items in my context menu, which might slow down its opening. However, in Windows Explorer I never had any issues with the performance. Is it possible to speed it up somehow?
Update: in my case the problem was with the Google Backup and Sync (also known as Google Drive) context item. After I uninstalled the Google Backup and Sync software, the context menu appears very fast!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Right clicking below the list for the context menu is not supported in virtual folders. I will consider it for a future version. As DrShark writes, please right click on the current path instead.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com