Error in file format detection in CompareByContent

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Error in file format detection in CompareByContent

Post by *Usher »

petermad wrote: 2019-03-28, 11:37 UTCI tried to set the "Language for programs that does not support Unicode" to Polish, but it didn't change anything for me. (Windows 7)
I also tried to change the "Script" in the Font setting of CompareByContent to something different (Central European - I didn't get the option af Eastern European), but I still get the same result. (Windows 7 & 10)
I suppose it's not enough. English should work in every Windows, so I've done all changes available in Regional settings in Windows XP PL and after system restart the result was the same – ANSI.
I think you should install full language pack and set it as default to see the difference - some settings seem to be available only in registry. The most complete multilanguage support should have Windows 10, but MS in KB for every updates warns about possible problems with language packs…

For now I've done tests for:
  • Windows XP PL
  • Windows XP PL with English set as default in all places available via Control Panel
  • Windows 7 PL
  • Windows 10 PL
  • Linux Mint 18.3 (PL) and WINE
In all the cases the results are the same - ANSI, for TCx32 and TCx64 (when possible) run as a common user and as Administrator.
What is more, TC seems to always start "Compare by Content" in ANSI mode with autodetection turned off even for UTF-16/UTF-8 with BOM.

Now I'm going to install some language pack (maybe German) for Windows 10 and prepare some more screenshots if you still want to see them.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Error in file format detection in CompareByContent

Post by *petermad »

and prepare some more screenshots if you still want to see them
Thank, but no, that is not necessary

But it could be interesting, to hear what other people with different default languages experience.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar