9.22a clears OneDrive folder when launched with the /S switch

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wisekat

9.22a clears OneDrive folder when launched with the /S switch

Post by *wisekat »

I have been using TC for years to automate backups to my flash drive. I created a sync profile in the Synchronize directories dialog to sync particular folders on my D: drive and then use it like this:
C:\Tools\totalcmd\TOTALCMD64.EXE /S=S:="Flash Drive Backup"
("Flash Drive Backup" is the name of my sync profile).
All worked flawlessly until I've recently added the OneDrive folder to the folder list to sync. Now, when I launch TC with this profile as described above, the contents of my OneDrive folder is simply deleted on the target device!
I tried to sync the OneDrive folder on my pc with its counterpart on the flash drive manually using the same dialog. If I mark this folder when I see the list of root folders on my drive D: and use the 'Only selected' options in the sync dialog, I get the same problem. However, if I open the contents of the OneDrive folder in the left pane and its counterpart on the flash drive in the right pane, and then do the synchronization of all folders, it works properly in this mode.
So, it seems, it is a bug in TC, when it can't sync properly folders marked for sync if the 'Only selected' option in the Synchronize directories dialog set.

FYI:
1) I'm using a non-standard location for the OneDrive folder. I moved it to D:\OneDrive using the corresponding OS system folder relocation feature from the folder properties dialog.
2) The OneDrive folder is displayed as <LNK> in details mode in TC, wheares all other 'normal' folders are displayed as <DIR>.
3) Doing all this in the latest Windows OS, which is Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 9.22a clears OneDrive folder when launched with the /S switch

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is a bug in OneDrive which sometimes makes all folders appear as file system links (reparse points). In the sync tool, make sure that you don't use the "Asymmetric" method.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

Perhaps, it's not a bug - it's the way how OneDrive works. How do you think we see files which are not physically present on the pc in the OneDrive folder in the Explorer?
But IMHO, TC must process the OneDrive folder properly during synchronization. It can do this if we work with individual files in file panes. For instance, we can view them in the built-in viewer. If I want to access a file that is not on my pc, the OS shows a notification that the file is downloaded byTC and shows it without any problems.
I also tried to clear the 'Asymmetric' flag. The situation became even worse. Now TC wants to overwrite my OneDrive files with the local ones!!

FYI. I also tried to sync two local folders in the 'symmetric' mode and found no difference in the TC behavior. Now I can't understand what this flag does at all.
wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

I also asked about this on the Super User forum at StackExchange. Read the following answer - perhaps, it will help somehow:
https://superuser.com/a/1473296/261681
wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

Any news regarding solving this problem?
FYI: I tried the FreeFileSync utility as an alternative for my purpose of creating backups. It works without any problems with my OneDrive folder on the drive D:.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Could you try adding
SyncIgnoreJunctions=0
to your wincmd.ini section [Configuration]?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

This does not help.