Feature request - "My Documents" as substitute dri

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pastone

Feature request - "My Documents" as substitute dri

Post by *pastone »

No doubt this has already been requested, but as XP becomes more dominant the issue is likely to become more important.

My request is that TC should treat (or perhaps give the user the option to configure) the user's "My Documents" folder structure as a notional or substitute drive, such as X:

This would reduce the length of pathnames at the top of a TC pane. It would also allow improved navigation.

Best wishes,
Peter Stone
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Feature request - "My Documents" as substitute

Post by *djk »

pastone wrote:My request is that TC should treat (or perhaps give the user the option to configure) the user's "My Documents" folder structure as a notional or substitute drive, such as X:
Well, Sometimes I think there could be at least "My computer" in the list of drives - then you could also have a quick access to "Documents and Settings" directories. Now you can only use an internal command "cm_OpenDrives" - unfortunately on WinXp it shows several (one for each user) directories with the same name "My documents" instead of eg. "My Documents - John".
I also can not add such a directory to directories menu (CTRL_D) - I mean I can add, but I can't switch to it :-(.

So now the only way (AFAIK) to quick access to your documents is to go to this directory in common way and add this (CTRL_D) to the directories menu.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:29 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:29 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

norfie wrote:This works for me (you have to use e.g. cm_OpenDesktop instead of cd \\Desktop) - AFAIK you need V5.51.
You are right, but you must correct it manually after adding with Ctrl_D.

Thanks for the shortcut \\ - I didn't know it.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
pastone

Post by *pastone »

Thanks to all who replied, especially norfie, whose suggestion to use the "subst" command has solved my problem. I last used "subst" before Windows 95, but it is still there in XP.

Regards,
Peter Stone