Little suggestions

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

cppguy16

Little suggestions

Post by *cppguy16 »

Total Commander is so perfect that it's hard to improve it. However, here are some very very minor wishes:

1. TC should remember the path for each drive letter. Let's say I have a network drive S: for "source code" (backups only), but I usually work on the C: drive. If I exit TC and restart it, then switch to the S: drive, it would be nice to be where I was previously, instead of jumping to the root. Not a must have feature, but a real convenience. (Notes: TC remembers the location of the two list panes, but not the path of other drives not currently listed in any of the two panes).

2. The Back button on the toolbar is too slow. The reason is because it treats two clicks as a double click and "swallows" it. It doesn't make too much sense to handle double clicks on a tool button, especially not on the Back button, where you usually click multiple times very quickly. Each click should go back 1 level, and there shouldn't be double click.

3. Probably a shortcut key to launch another instance of TC, defaulting to the same directory as the current directory.

Tom
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Little suggestions

Post by *djk »

cppguy16 wrote: 2. The Back button on the toolbar is too slow. The reason is because it treats two clicks as a double click and "swallows" it. It doesn't make too much sense to handle double clicks on a tool button, especially not on the Back button, where you usually click multiple times very quickly. Each click should go back 1 level, and there shouldn't be double click.
You can use Alt_DownArrow to get quickly access to last used directories instead of using "Back" button
cppguy16 wrote: 3. Probably a shortcut key to launch another instance of TC, defaulting to the same directory as the current directory.
Tom
You can add a button to button bar which launch TC with parameters like this:
Command: C:\Program Files\wincmd\TOTALCMD.EXE
Parameters: /L="%P" /R="%T"
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

For going back, the Backspace button is the fastest way, innit? Now, I realize that some ppl are more attached to mouse-clicking back and forward than me, but it's generally faster to use keyboard for stuff like that.

heck, I don't even have a visible button-bar ;)
license #76904
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 22-05-2003 10:15:42 +0000 TucknDar wrote:

T> For going back, the Backspace button is the fastest
T> way, innit?

It isn't, 'cause "Alt"+"<-" stands for cm_GotoPreviousDir and BS stands for cm_GoToParent, as well as "Ctrl"+PU.

__________transmission_from_clipboard_____________

cm_GotoPreviousDir=570;Go back
cm_GotoNextDir=571;Go forward
[^Y]
cm_GoToParent=2002;Go to parent directory

_______________end_of_transmission________________

So, there is a little difference...

T> but it's generally faster to use keyboard for stuff
T> like that.

Actually not always... :)

T> heck, I don't even have a visible button-bar ;)

Well, it's not a problem now...[/face]
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

djk wrote:You can add a button to button bar which launch TC with parameters like this:
Command: C:\Program Files\wincmd\TOTALCMD.EXE
Parameters: /L="%P" /R="%T"
I also have such a button on my toolbar :). It's not a shortcut key that cppguy16 asked for. To add shortcut key for it, read this or this.
Unfortunately this button (menu command) doesn't work if an archive is open in one of the panes :(. Christian, can you please open archive's parent dir instead of displaying error message "This func can't be used with packed files!"?
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Along these same lines...

If I have a toolbar button set up to run an exe on $P$N, then if the file I have selected is in an archive and I click that button, TC responds with a "Can't do that with files in archives".

In that situation I would rather the TC dialog would offer to perform one of the following two options, selectable by me from the dialog:

1. Expand the archived file to Temp (with a file rename option) and pass the temp filespec to my application

-or-

2. Expand the archived file to some other folder selectable by me (with a browse button and recent folders list, also offering a file rename option) and pass the resulting filespec to my application

-or-

3. Cancel the operation

So clicking the button would give me some choices, instead of "can't do that"...
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric