Lister, possible bug.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JackFoo

Lister, possible bug.

Post by *JackFoo »

Ok it's a little difficult to recreate:
open a text file in lister say [file.txt] this file is constantly being written to by some other program (it writes a line every 15 sec.), normally lister doesn't reload the file but if you search with F3 it'll reload, but won't go beyond the end point of the original file; So you'll have the lister at end of file at 73% and some line cut in half...

Can someone re-verify it? (I've stumbled upon it while viewing my mIRC log)

EDIT: You can recreate this behaviour by writing to the file yourself (using text editor).

Cheers.
Vicotnik

Post by *Vicotnik »

Yes, same thing here.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Just press F2 to reload the file. Lister works with a sliding buffer of 32k, which means that it holds only 32k of data around the current position in memory, and when you scroll out of this buffer, it loads data from the actual file. This way it can show huge files (several Gigabytes) almost instantaneously.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Just press F2 to reload the file. Lister works with a sliding buffer of 32k, which means that it holds only 32k of data around the current position in memory, and when you scroll out of this buffer, it loads data from the actual file. This way it can show huge files (several Gigabytes) almost instantaneously.
This is true and works perfectly, what I wanted to point out is that the buffer and lister have synchronization problems when using F3, i.e. the buffer is updated with true data but lister's interface isn't which leads to wrong percentage display and wrong scrollbar location/unable to scroll down even when you see there is text there (the lines height is cut). This isn't a real bother and is very esoteric.

Cheers.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Just press F2 to reload the file.
That's why, Christian, I asked you to add "Refresh F2" to Lister's menu (translators are guilty, I know :)). I discovered this command only 2 months ago. Not everybody reads manuals... :)