Rename a file or folder easily, how ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sybariten

Rename a file or folder easily, how ?

Post by *sybariten »

Hi all
I'm new to this forum. I've been using WC/TC for some years now and i see it as the base of my OS.
However, there are a few (very few) things that i think are easier to do in plain old Windows, than in TC. Perhaps this is because of my ignorance.On e of them is renaming files and folders. I would like to be able to press a Function-key or something (like in win - F2 ?) and then make the filename editable. As it is now, i have to press the filename once, but i always screw up and end up double clicking in some way.
Any ideas ?

All the best /J
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

This is something that ticked me quite a bit until I changed the keyboard shortcuts:
F1 - List files (cm_List)(changed from Help, who need it anyways)
F2 - Rename (cm_RenameOnly)
F3 - Refresh (cm_RereadSource)

Cheers.
Leif

Re: Rename a file or folder easily, how ?

Post by *Leif »

sybariten wrote:Any ideas ?
Edit WinCmd.ini

[Shortcuts]
C+F=cm_SearchFor
F2=cm_RenameOnly
sybariten

shortcuts II

Post by *sybariten »

Two answers within an hour - now that's some goood sh**!

I hate to sound lame but i have to ask some things about your postings:

Jack Foo - did you do this in Configuration -> Options -> Misc -> Redefine hotkeys? (it seems so tucked away there :) ) What is "list" that you put on F1, and refresh that you put on F3? I suppose refresh is just the directory refresh? (F5 in win if i remember correctly) And about that Help-on-F1-thing: this got me thinking, whic process har priority? I for instance run a macro tool now, if i install an alias to my email adress on F1 and also make a shortcut in TC, which of them will have priority?

Leif - I checked wincmd.ini and it didnt have any shortcuts headline. Can i just add it, and it will add support for those hotkeys? What do you mean by C+F, ctrl-F ? And what does cm_searchfor do?

I hope you understand my questions and have time to answer.

Cheers!
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

Press Shift+F6 :)
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

did you do this in Configuration -> Options -> Misc -> Redefine hotkeys?
Yep (well actually by editing the wincmd.ini but it's the same thing)
What is "list" that you put on F1, and refresh that you put on F3? I suppose refresh is just the directory refresh?
List is the TC's lister (viewer), and F3 is refresh dir content as you guessed.
And about that Help-on-F1-thing: this got me thinking, whic process har priority? I for instance run a macro tool now, if i install an alias to my email adress on F1 and also make a shortcut in TC, which of them will have priority?
Usually the one that has the focus, however some programs catch global keys even when not in focus (TC doesn't).
I checked wincmd.ini and it didnt have any shortcuts headline. Can i just add it, and it will add support for those hotkeys? What do you mean by C+F, ctrl-F ? And what does cm_searchfor do?
You can safely add it and it will define hotkeys, note that you have to edit this file (wincmd.ini) when TC isn't running. C+F is the way to tell TC to use CTRL+F as a hotkey (in this case cm_SearchFor which is the search dialog)
I hope you understand my questions and have time to answer.
Yep.
Cheers!
This is MY sig.

P.S. Might I suggest you hold on to redefining the F1 key, you should use it; There is tons of useful info there, just read it topic by topic (you won't regret doing it)

Cheers.
Leif

Re: shortcuts II

Post by *Leif »

sybariten wrote:Leif - I checked wincmd.ini and it didnt have any shortcuts headline. Can i just add it, and it will add support for those hotkeys? What do you mean by C+F, ctrl-F ? And what does cm_searchfor do?
Just add the section and then restart TotCmd.
F2 is the Windows way of renaming files, right?
And Ctrl+F is the Windows way of starting a search. Has nothing to do with the F2. Just a change I've made. Default search in TotCmd is Alt+F7 but I always forget that!
sybariten

renaming

Post by *sybariten »

Thanks for your help!