Feature Request: Generating TC Independent File Merging

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Feature Request: Generating TC Independent File Merging

Post by *pdavit »

I always used to find the splitting feature of TC very useful and many times life saving. The problem though is the merging side. What I mean by that is that in order to merge the splitted files we need TC installed on the machine. In network configurations and with personal licenses it is some times just not feasible, practical or even legal to merge the files.

It would be nice if TC could, in addition to its current functionality, create a batch file or an executable or whatever so that we can merge files without the need of having TC installed on another machine.

What’s your opinion guys?

Kind regards,
Panos
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

Good idea! But why we need a batch file? I think better is to add some small exe to first part of splitted file. Like self-exctracted zip.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Why not use the simple command:
copy/b file1.f+file2.f+...+fileN.f complete.f

BTW this also supports wildcards (just be careful with correct order).

Cheers.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

VadiMGP wrote:Good idea! But why we need a batch file? I think better is to add some small exe to first part of splitted file. Like self-exctracted zip.
Well, I thought of that initially but I wasn’t sure I wanted to see a change in the current behavior but rather an addition. If the first file becomes an executable then the merge feature of TC will not work and that’s why I’ve suggested a batch file also.
Last edited by pdavit on 2003-05-30, 17:23 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

JackFoo wrote:Why not use the simple command:
copy/b file1.f+file2.f+...+fileN.f complete.f

BTW this also supports wildcards (just be careful with correct order).

Cheers.
What triggered my idea for this post was another tool for file splitting and merging that uses exactly this command with a batch file. I didn’t know that it could apply for splitted files generated by TC. Cool! Yet I would love to see this generated automatically by TC; it’s more professional you know. And the coding effort is 10-15 minutes. What do you have to say Christian?
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Automatic batch file creation would be convenient sometimes (one more checkbox in Split dialog) but how about line length limit in batch files (how long is it?) when there are too many parts (100, 1000)? Especially with long filenames. E.g.
copy /b "It's me when I was 3 years old.001" + "It's me when I was 3 years old.002" + ... + "It's me when I was 3 years old.543" "It's me when I was 3 years old.avi"
:)

Wildcards would be OK but how to avoid combining parts with CRC file and with any other file with the same name? E.g.:
bob.001
bob.999
bob.crc
bob.txt
bob.description
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Valentino wrote:Automatic batch file creation would be convenient sometimes (one more checkbox in Split dialog) but how about line length limit in batch files (how long is it?) when there are too many parts (100, 1000)? Especially with long filenames. E.g.
copy /b "It's me when I was 3 years old.001" + "It's me when I was 3 years old.002" + ... + "It's me when I was 3 years old.543" "It's me when I was 3 years old.avi"
:)

Wildcards would be OK but how to avoid combining parts with CRC file and with any other file with the same name? E.g.:
bob.001
bob.999
bob.crc
bob.txt
bob.description
The length can be reduces if the batch file makes use of the 8.3 filename format and only the final bit is declared fully.

Another workaround can be to use the copy/b command into segments (if there is a limitation) since the splitted files are in binary form, i.e. TC can produce a batch file with the following format for 30 splitted files (consider the word “file” in each file name to be something long hence the need for a segmented execution of the copy/b command):

copy/b file1.f+file2.f+...+file10.f part1.f

copy/b file11.f+file12.f+...+file20.f part2.f

copy/b file21.f+file22.f+...+file30.f part3.f

copy/b part1.f+part2.f+part3.f It's me when I was 3 years old.zip

Yet even that is not reliable for 100 or 1000 parts as you mentioned but these are very rare cases and I guess under those circumstances someone is “forced” to install TC beforehand on the machine where the merging is to be applied.

Oh, by the way the splitting tool I was talking about is called JR Split. Info can be found at http://www.spadixbd.com/FreeTools/jsplit.htm

On the above link you can find a description of any limitations.
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

If the first file becomes an executable then the merge feature of TC will not work
But if 1st file is exe, you dont need TC's merging. Just run exe file.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

VadiMGP wrote:But if 1st file is exe, you dont need TC's merging. Just run exe file.
True but then this becomes an external feature. And in a way it will look like TC is only capable of merging. But that’s rather a philosophical approach! ;)

Any way, like I said before I would like to keep the current situation but at the same time see an ADDITION to it for those cases where TC is not or cannot be installed on another machine to perform the file merging. That’s why I would prefer the batch file approach. At the end of the day both file types .bat and .exe are treated by us like executables in everyday use. What’s the difference of having to click on a bat file than on an exe file in this case? None I believe. Not to mention that the batch file would be available for editing as well!
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

pdavit wrote:Not to mention that the batch file would be available for editing as well!
... and cannot contain viruses as EXE (at least it can be easily checked visually).
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

... and would be smaller IMHO.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

Don't forget the Combine tool:
http://clubtotal.free.fr/tc_tools/combine.zip
...BRB...