Feature Request: Search for Duplicate Files in Branched View

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Feature Request: Search for Duplicate Files in Branched View

Post by *pdavit »

I frequently use the powerful feature Branched View of TC to locate duplicate files. When the list is long though this becomes quite hard and time consuming.

It would be nice if we could have an internal command or something bound to Branched View (independently that is) where TC could mark the duplicated files automatically and delete upon request the duplicated files. I guess there is a logical problem here as TC cannot know automatically which of the duplicated files the user doesn’t need. So, upon asking to delete, TC could display a dialog box displaying the two (or more) duplicated file paths with the filename on top (including size, date, and attribute details) where the user can select which duplicated files to be deleted.

How that sounds to you? Do you like the idea? Do you have a different approach of how this should be implemented? Do you have in mind some other tricks to delete duplicate files with TC that I cannot think of? Thanx!

Kind regards,
Panos
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Panos, you should like this:
Alt+F7 (Find Files), Advanced tab, at the bottom - "Find duplicate files".
I can't believe you never noticed that! :)
And "Feed to listbox" after search.

P.S. Be sure "Search for" field is empty or contains what you need, because it might contain previous searched filename.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Valentino wrote:Panos, you should like this:
Alt+F7 (Find Files), Advanced tab, at the bottom - "Find duplicate files".
I can't believe you never noticed that! :)
And "Feed to listbox" after search.

P.S. Be sure "Search for" field is empty or contains what you need, because it might contain previous searched filename.
You are right! I did like this! :oops:

It’s even implemented more sophisticated than I had in mind!

How on earth I didn’t notice that!

Back to the RTFM logic…

Drawback: The inability of TC to use a horizontal scrolling bar makes things hard. Horizontal view mode on file listings is necessary to fully see some paths. But even then some are cut down! :(

Hopefully Christian has in his future plans the implementation of a horizontal scrolling bar from what I can recall.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

pdavit wrote:Drawback: ...
It's a matter of another topic, isn't it? :) Names can be too long to be fully visible even in normal mode. Meanwhile, drag a splitter or use vertical panes.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Valentino wrote:
pdavit wrote:Drawback: ...
It's a matter of another topic, isn't it? :) Names can be too long to be fully visible even in normal mode. Meanwhile, drag a splitter or use vertical panes.
Yes I know and we have a thread about that! ;)
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

To Valentine:

Wow. I for one have used TC a very long time and never noticed the Find Duplicates option. Go figure.

Thanks for the tip! What a useful function. Minor celebratory outburst to follow:

TC rules!!!!
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric