BUGGED? Search->Listbox->Delete

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

(john)

BUGGED? Search->Listbox->Delete

Post by *(john) »

Hi,

I have a CD of old files that I copied to my hard drive. There are many directories each with assorted description file formats (files.bbs, descript.ion, etc) in each directory.

I do a search for "descript.ion" on 'C:\CD_STRUC_COPY' and feed the results to a listbox. I want to delete the files and can't. Figuring it might have something to do with read-only status or something I select all the files and change the attributes -- which I -can- do, yet selecting all the files and trying to delete them still no go.

When I select any or all files from the listbox and then F8, I get the confirmation box, click OK, -looks- like it does something..

Anyhow, FWIW, prior to changing the attributes of the files to visable, etc after the 'ok to delete' confirmation there is NO addition prompt about the files being read-only -- the second confirmation I normally see.

I don't relish manually going into each of the 60+ directories with TC to manually delete these files so I did it with explorer..
Wheelie

Post by *Wheelie »

Yes, good :idea: !

But a more extended feed to listbox would be 8) !

I need the date and size too.

I'm lazy to... so... Make it so !
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I do a search for "descript.ion" on 'C:\CD_STRUC_COPY' and feed the results to a listbox. I want to delete the files and can't. Figuring it might have something to do with read-only status or something I select all the files and change the attributes -- which I -can- do, yet selecting all the files and trying to delete them still no go.
TC does not delete the actual description files if copying of descriptions is enabled in the configuration - in this case, it only deletes the associated descriptions when you delete the file to which the description belongs! Only exception: The description file is the ONLY selected file.

Solution: Temporarily turn off copying of file descriptions in TC's configuration!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
(john)

Post by *(john) »

I don't understand, I can delete descript.ion files from within either of the main panels with description copy enabled.

Is this something specific to the listbox?
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 06-06-2003 23:34:51 +0000 (john) wrote:

j> I don't understand

We don't understand... :)))
Sorry, but that voice suites so well with you avatar, I just can't resist... %)

j> I can delete descript.ion files from within either of the
j> main panels with description copy enabled.

As Christian said, you can do it in this case only if "the description file is the ONLY selected file". But if you want to delete several files with descript.ion among them, you should "turn off copying of file descriptions in TC's configuration".[/face]
Last edited by Black Dog on 2003-06-07, 23:20 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
(john)

Post by *(john) »

Well... per my original message - the list box ONLY contains "descript.ion" files.. thus they are the only files selected..

The workaround of using the windows "find" and then deleting from it's result list is okay. I'm rapidly forgetting how to use explorer though. heh heh.

I could quote the line too, but it's fairly legible in both messages -- I think the explanation is geared for a slightly different question..

Just to supliment the explanation, you can delete the "descript.ion" file with other files selected IF all the descriptions in the "descript.ion" file are associated with files that are being deleted.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 08-06-2003 01:09:35 +0000 (john) wrote:

j> the list box ONLY contains "descript.ion" files..

It looks like the singular is the key. Normally there is only one descript.ion per directory... %)[/face]