Secure FTP Client in Total Commander (not plugin)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

zinvob

Secure FTP Client in Total Commander (not plugin)

Post by *zinvob »

Since Secure FTP Sites are very common, I hope that Ghisler will make it available in the next version of Total Commander. This is a very important thing for me, and many others I guess. The sftp plugin does not work with most secure sites, so it's not that useful. Also, you can't connect the same way you do with ordinary ftp connections.

People, please state your opinion on secure ftp in Total Commander here.

Thanx
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

If I’m not wrong the reason TC does not support secure FTP is Swiss laws.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

You are correct. Because of the Swiss cryptography export laws Christian cannot implement this function himself. We have to wait and see if there is a programmer who could do that and doesn't live in Switzerland.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
zinvob

Post by *zinvob »

As long as he doesn't make the crypto keys he could implement it. And it's always the server that provides the keys. And as I know, Ghisler is not making an ftp server.

What we would like to have in Total Commander is:

Auth TLS*
Auth SSL
IMPLICIT SSL

* Especially this one
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, even a client which implements encryption isn't possible. Switzerland adopted the U.S. crypto export regulations when they were the strongest, and didn't relax them when the U.S. erelaxed theirs. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
zinvob

Post by *zinvob »

But the rules applies to crypto export, not import? These crypto routines are common crypto routines used all over the world, so you wouldn't be exporting it. Just importing it into your program, so that your program can use crypto routines created by other countries. Also if this doesn't apply, you could implement these routines by using crypto dll's. Since you don't create the dlls, you're not bound by any crypto laws.

There are lot's of possibillities, and I'm sure that there must be some that you could use to put sftp into Total Commander in a more normal fascion. I really would like to have the secure ftp options inside the ftp settings window.

This is the only thing that I really miss in Total Commander, and it's a great product.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

But the rules applies to crypto export, not import? These crypto routines are common crypto routines used all over the world, so you wouldn't be exporting it.
No, the rules even apply to functions which were imported and which are later re-exported. :(

Of course there is no problem if someone else writes an external plugin, like the SFTP plugin.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com