Feature : make some kind of batch - ex in backup

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fastwrite

Feature : make some kind of batch - ex in backup

Post by *fastwrite »

Hi there, folks.

I use TC everyday - it's the most worthy program i know!

Anyway - i want some improvements. Is it possible to make some kind of batch program?

ex : start TC - copy all files from C:\dirs to E:\backup\dirs

and also some kind of synchro two dirs in the backup manners, so that only new files will be copied.

Hope you understand my english.. I'm from Denmark, and it has been a long time since i left school 8)
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

You can pass command prompt parameters to Total Commander (see the help file) but not perform file operation actions automatically in this manner if that’s what you are asking. I have placed a wish for an automation feature in the form of macros and scripting abilities. I hope some time in the future we’ll see this implemented. ;)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Hmm, why use TC for batch operations? You can already do this with normal batch files! I'm using this a lot for repetitive jobs, e.g. a backup of my development directory twice a day using the Windows scheduler.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
BTW: This backup program has won the SIAF People's Choice Awards referred to in another thread ( http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=939 ) http://www.secondcopy.com . Maybe it's worth a look.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Hacker wrote:Christian,
BTW: This backup program has won the SIAF People's Choice Awards referred to in another thread ( http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=939 ) http://www.secondcopy.com . Maybe it's worth a look.

HTH
Roman
Yeap! That's a really nice tool Roman I've tried it before.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
fastwrite

Post by *fastwrite »

Thanx for alle the replies.

Why I want TC in a backup-situation? Cause I use TC for almost anything now, so why not the backup also?!

What about making it possible to copy directly to a CD-r og DVD? You mark all the files, press F5 and - bam - copying to CD-R. that would be nice!
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2fastwrite If you use packet writing software (like DirectCD) you can write files on CD-R with TC.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

fastwrite wrote:What about making it possible to copy directly to a CD-r og DVD? You mark all the files, press F5 and - bam - copying to CD-R.
... and if you need to put coffe mug somewhere, you launch TC, press eject CD tray and - bam - there is a nice place for the mug... :)
VadiMGP wrote:like DirectCD
or InCD by Nero.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

fastwrite,
or InCD

or PacketCD by Roxio (formerly CeQuadrat).

BTW: The direct copying doesn't work under XP, there you have to use the Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V method to make it work.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Wincomuser

Post by *Wincomuser »

I use TC's search feature to search for files whose archive bit is set. Then I pass the results to the listbox. I open WinRAR and I copy+paste the list from the listbox to WinRAR - whose icon I have on TC's toolbar - in order to create a backup copy of the files concerned.

The whole process takes about as long as it took me to write this (45 seconds).
:)
fastwrite

Post by *fastwrite »

thanx for all replies - and the coffee mug :o)
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

2Wincomuser,
After "Feed to listbox" step you may just press Alt+F5 (Pack), and probably Alt+R (to select RAR archiver) if needed, then Enter and done. A bit easier :).

To achieve maximum compression (or other criteria you like) configure rar packer in TC's options. I use the following switches:

Code: Select all

c:\path\to\my\winrar\winrar.exe -m5 -md4096 -s -ed -kb -tl -os
-ed creates a bit smaller archives but has some inconvenience when moving to archive - it leaves empty dirs on the disk. No problem, of course when just packing (copying to archive).
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 20-06-2003 04:16:50 +0000 Valentino wrote:

V> I use the following switches:

Why don't you configure it through your beloved GUI, Val? %)

V> -m5 -md4096 -s -ed -kb -tl -os

My rar.ini:[/face]

[face=terminal]__________transmission_from_clipboard____________

switches= -m5 -s -md4096 -t -rr -dh -ri4 -os -ow -isnd -ilog -ts2

______________end_of_transmission________________

%)[/face]