Copying files with errors without having to answer prompts

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

peterbbrown

Copying files with errors without having to answer prompts

Post by *peterbbrown »

I am restoring part of my hard disc files from CDs and some of the files can't be read from the CD. When I use the copy feature, copying the folders and files from the CD to the disc, I am constantly having to answer a prompt for "error: cannot read [file name]" because of errors on the CDROM itself.
The only options here are skip the file or cancel the entire process. I suggest that the options include "skip all" as happens when files are just copied or moved.
I tried setting the "options" button to skip all, but that just skipped recopying files already there, it didn't solve this problem.
Unfortunately some of my CDs have errors that were not detected when I burned the backups, so this is taking quite a bit of time
Coco

Post by *Coco »

Hi peterbbrown,

Yes the skip is only for existing file not for errors.

Did you try to read your cd from another reader or clean your reader sometimes it can help.
Regards
Alain
matis_

Post by *matis_ »

instead you can try
Bullet Proof File Copy : http://webgate.republika.pl/prog1/bp_copy_win_1_53.zip
which helps recovering files from damaged cds
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I have also asked for a similar feature here: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1044
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
peterbbrown

Post by *peterbbrown »

Thank you all for suggestions. I will try the Bullet Proof copy program to see if it can recover data otherwise unavailable from the CDs.
But the improvement in TC remains a goal. How often do users' suggetions make it into product improvements, for those of you who have been using this for a while? I'm a new user and while the program is Excellent and a huge improvement on anything I've used in Windows since the great Norton Commander from DOS, there is still some room for improvement.
Thanks again.
matis_

Post by *matis_ »

peterbbrown wrote:Thank you all for suggestions. I will try the Bullet Proof copy program to see if it can recover data otherwise unavailable from the CDs.
But the improvement in TC remains a goal. How often do users' suggetions make it into product improvements, for those of you who have been using this for a while? I'm a new user and while the program is Excellent and a huge improvement on anything I've used in Windows since the great Norton Commander from DOS, there is still some room for improvement.
Thanks again.
i see what you mean , i would personally want TC to do almost everything that can be done on a computer , without having to use anything else

and i think TC is on its way to achieve that
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

peterbbrown wrote:How often do users' suggetions make it into product improvements, for those of you who have been using this for a while?
You’ll be amazed how often DO users' suggestions make it to the final product as far as Total Commander is concerned. Mr. Ghisler (the developer of TC) is extremely open-minded and welcomes any valuable suggestions. It just has to be feasible on his development platform (Delphi v2.0) and widely accepted (and requested) by users.

To give you an example, it’s no more than a month or so since we’ve started two threads one concerning Natural Sorting and one concerning Regular Expressions and Christian not only promised to look into it but he has already implemented both features for the up-coming v6.0 of TC! :)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Vinyl Driver

Post by *Vinyl Driver »

i was about to post the same question before i thought of searching for old threads.

i see this question has already been asked....the other question now is: "will this feature be implented in the future?"

thanks in advance
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's on my wish list, but I cannot yet say when I will implement it. It can be done with external programs as well, so it's not such an urgent feature. I even wrote a command line tool myself - it's not difficult. The difficult thing is to integrate it well into TC...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Vinyl Driver

Post by *Vinyl Driver »

till you will implement this feature in next versions "external program" will you recommand aside the 'Bullet Proof File Copy' that was recommanded a few posts above?

i am using 'Bullet Proof File Copy' but it has a few problems like not copying the whole directory but the files (unless you create the same directory in the adressed hard disk) not to mention it's in polish =P
Gingo

Post by *Gingo »

Go to shellcity.net and do a search. I know I've seen at least one and maybe more programs there to do this. I think one was called "copy it anyway".