Automatically passing file path as a file comment.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Automatically passing file path as a file comment.

Post by *pdavit »

I frequently move around files in a local network that need to be modified by other users that (on purpose) do not have access to the source location. These files need to be moved back to their original location ones any necessary modifications have been made. Unfortunately the return to the original location can take place after a week or so and as a result it’s not possible to remember the original location. I have created a system with templates to display the location of the file but this is not possible for every type of file. And even if it was, it wouldn’t be practical to view every single file before moving it since in the current situation I’m working in the file-management level.

What I thought would be useful as a future feature is to have a way of automatically passing the path location of a file as a file comment where it can easily be retrieved with TC as it is currently and make the file moving process an easy job. We can already do that (not automatically though) by copying the path and pasting it as a comment but this is extremely time consuming in my case not to mention that most of the files need to be instantly moved to the requested (by the users) destination location. So following the manual way is just not feasible due to time constrains of the nature of my job.

So, what do you think? Wouldn’t be nice if by pressing a keyboard shortcut or by calling a new internal command over a file or a group of files the path they are located is passed or added as a file comment to each file?

Remark: File synchronization could help in my case but it doesn’t due to the directory tree complexity and the network complexity.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

I support this idea. I need this feature too. And also i would like internal command to revert file to it's original location taken from file comment.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

VadiMGP wrote:And also i would like internal command to revert file to it's original location taken from file comment.
Never thought of that possibility! That's actually extremely cleaver and useful. It will act like a file distribution system, which will make my life easier.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!